2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater Core

Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Blue Vette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heater Core

I am new to this list and have a 95 Blazer that I bought new. It is in great shape, except the heater core needs to be replaced. Does anyone know how much is involved in changing it. I am thinking about doing it myself?

Norm

Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 PM
roaddogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Heater Core

I also have a 93 S10 Blazer that the heater core needs replacement. Was told that the passenger side dash needs to be pulled out along with the glove box and fan blower compartment. I was able to remove several screws and bolts to loosen the dashbord. I removed the glove box and now I am stuck... cannot find how to go further and remove the heater core.. Could anyone please help?
Thanks,
John

Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

You will certainly have to take off the access panel in the glove box the under dash trim and the radio bezel. All those things come out really easily with not tricks involved. I would also suggest taking out the passenger bucket or bench to give yourself more room to work. It will really save your back and take a lot of aggravation out of the job. You will need some extensions and some universals but no specialty tools to do it. It is a straightforward job. Also if you don't want to do it right away you don't have to buy some special adapter just cute a 3-inch piece or copper tubing and hose clamp both hosed to it. It will work just fine. Oh yea one more thing, buy the original GM replacement heater core. It will last a lot longer then an after market one. the guys i know who have done this themselves who have bought the aftermarket one had to change theirs every after a yr when they used the aftermarket... for some reason they kept using them but nonetheless get a factory one it will last longer

after you get the dash out take off the cover that encloses the heater core. there are 4 bolts that hold down two straps and after you disconnect the heater hoses it will come right out.

you can remove the 4 screws from the def. vents, then remove the dash mounting screws(one is facing down rigt above the rh kick panel,another one should be facing the same way under the radio. and maybe the one to the right of the steering colum, you have to take off the trim panel to get to this oneand the head will be facing the driver side of the truck. btw all these screws are 10mm at the bottom of the dash . execpt the one by the colum.) and you should be able to swing it out enough to get the heater box out

some people say they have done it in 3hrs others say 6 others say longer

also try to pick up a hanes manual if this post doent help the manual should or pick one up anyway because it could show pictures of the process... hope it helps good luck

Old 11-13-2005, 11:06 PM
roaddogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, Timetoblaze, will use your suggestion.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

not a prob good luck

Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 AM
nslide10 is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got the haynes and i checked out about the heater core cuz i thought mine was bad and it had a pretty detailed description on how to take it out and replace it but i didnt have to do it because i read on here problems people were having and i just had to blow compressed air thru it and a little clean water with it and it got alot of slimmy goo out and now it just pumps the heat out