2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater cycles hot then cold then...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 AM
outdoorxman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heater cycles hot then cold then...

I have a 2001 Trailblazer (Blazer) that the heater/defrost seems to cycle back and forth between hot and cold every 5 to 10 seconds. I have the Heater/AC Control that has the Auto Temp control. I can hear the vent flaps move as I rotate the controls between heat and defrost. The fan also works on both the Auto setting and the manual settings. I'm not so I will check this out tomorrow but I think I hear the A/C compressor kick in when it changes to the cold cycle. Any ideas?

Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Heater cycles hot then cold then...

Check that your coolant level is full in the radiator. Your a/c compressor will cycle when it's in the defrost mode, that's normal.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Coolant level is fine. What else should I check?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Got any codes?
Check your TPS.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 AM

No codes.

With the heat and A/C off you can hear what I think is one of the duct flaps moving from one position to another. It sounds like it is coming from under the glovebox area. The air flow blows hot but then sounds like the fan is getting starved for air, then the cold air blows and then turns warm again. Could this be the motor that controls one of the doors in the vents?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a similar problem, i lost heat a while back and recently it hasnt been getting above freezing until well after lunch at the the earliest. about a week ago i had heat suddenly for one day. it was not there the next. it made a weak comeback the day after and hasnt come back at all since. i flushed the heater core and nothing happened. im changing the thermostat this weekend but i was wondering if that doesnt work if it might be my compressor. i ask because my compressor is messed up, i can hear it come on for about 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds, and on and off... i have charged it with coolant last summer and it still shows charged. it actually shows a little high when the compressor works, when it doesnt you cant trust the reading.
all help appreciated.
(sorry didnt mean to steal ur thunder man)

Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 AM

OK, I checked on four of the actuators that I could find. 2 each on the passenger side and drivers sides under the dash. They both are working. Vaccume is good. I can hear what sounds like a small electric motor opening and closing a flap within the semi round housing just to the left of the glovebox. Is there a small motor that controls either A/C and Heater core air flow. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Also, when you turn on the A/C it will turn itself off during this cycling for both recirculating and fresh air.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

The auto temp control has to have a temp sensor somewhere. Mine doesn't have that option but it sounds like a bad sensor. Not sure where it would be located.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have Autotemp control they use an outside ambient air sensor like the overhead console temp sensor located out by the front of the radiator...

Quick Reply: Heater cycles hot then cold then...