2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help me please! 99 bravada wont shift/ no speedo....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

ok i checked the ohms for the vss on the blue connector top row 3rd & 4th pins from the right. the ohms read zero. i checked the volts at the vss connector with the key on and the volts dc were zero also. so it sounds like the wiring. what all is in the harness for the vss? do you know where i can get one or a part number? i called all of the local junkyards already and no body has one. i know just from looking at it it doesnt look very fun. lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I would just run two new wires if this actually were the problem.

Have you ohm'd out from one end (at the PCM) to the other (at the VSS) on the same wire? If this reads continuous then the wiring is intact.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM

yea i think thats what im gonna do just run two new wires.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how you make out. Those harnesses are pretty reliable if nobody moved it from the original location(s). Look it over for a spot where it was laying on the exhaust or something, maybe you can splice a short area. The wires have a grounded shield around 'em, try to find some 2 conductor w/shield intercom wire at an electronic supply store and make sure you use stranded wire, solid will break from vibration.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM

well got the bravada finished up today! everything works like it should now. there was a break in the wire up by the trans bellhousing once that was fixed all is good. thanks for all the help guys!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Default Bravada is fixed!

i just remembered i needed to let you guys know how things were going with the bravada. well its all fixed, i had to repair the harness for the speed sensor and that took care of it and everything has been good since! thanks for the help!

edit: oops just realized that i already told you guys about it. LOL!

Last edited by hubert hefner; 12-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback and glad you got your problem fixed!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
marked0210 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced a flywheel on my 97 bravada and now it wont shift out of 1st and my speedo quit working! so you guys think it electrical? thats what i initially thought but i got it to shift into a higher gear a few times by hitting neutral then drive. i'm now at a loss of what to do. Ive already replaced the engine, i sure as heck dont want to have to put a tranny in.

So what wire do i follow to find the break? do i start from the transfer case or the tranny?

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-12-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Simple things first... Did you plug the VSS sensor back in?

If the speedo isn't working, the transmission will not shift. It all traces back to the VSS sensor located in the tail housing on the transfer case.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Starting Member
marked0210 is on a distinguished road

Taken my lap top outside to him so he can reply

yes i just checked that and its plugged in

are there fuses under the hood? if so i cant find them

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-12-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.

Quick Reply: Help me please! 99 bravada wont shift/ no speedo....