2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hood release won't open help!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Starting Member
sportf190 is on a distinguished road
Default hood release won't open help!

Hey my button for the hood release is now loose and won't open the front hood. Any idea how I can get this hood to open? it is just loose now and how can i take pliers or a screw driver to open it manueally? Maybe a picture or diagram would help I have a 2002 sport blazer LS 2 door thanks!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You should be able to go between the grille and the hood and push on the latch to make it open, if you look between there, you should see a ring that has the hood latch cable in there.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default what are ya saying

Did the handle break off the end of the cable or is it still there?If so grab a pair of needle nose pliers get a hold of the cable and twist till all the slack is out.Pull like hell it should open.I suspect you are going to have to change your hood release cable.I have been there done that not a fun situation to be in.good luck!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Starting Member

Yes ugh it is still on just loose and hanging there like it tried to release but didn't.. And I also have an issue the engine won't start. It will crank up but won't start.. not sure what this is as well.. Someone told me to check the massive air flow sensor so that is why I need to get into the hood.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Get a set of large needle nose pliers twist all the slack out of the cable around the end of the pliers yank like hell hopefully it pops the release from the latch and it will open.Worst case scnario is the cable will break (YIKES)If that doesn't work you will have to take your grill off and work with the latch under the hood.I`ll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 10-31-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

this happend on my brother pull the handle then go kinda knock on the hood where there latch is an it should pop up

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the cable broke either inside the cover or at the latch. Might have just came unhooked from the latch.

If when you pull on it the cable comes completely out easiest way I've found it to get a real skinny screwdriver with some length. Put a wrap or two of electrical tape on it to keep from scratching the hood (heat shrink works well also). Then stick it in the crack between the hood and grille to try to push the loop the cable attached to back. Hit it just right the hood will pop.

If the cable comes to a hard stop your spring might be out of adjustment. Have a buddy pull and hold the cable while you lift the hood. Sometimes bumping it with your hand will shock it enough after the cable is pullled to pop up.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Starting Member

ok guys, so I have had no luck doing the cable and pulling it with pliers, I am confused on how to get the hatch to open from the grill and hood. I look between and i see the metal pieces clamped on so I would take a screwdriver and what should I hit with it to get it to open or release. I am trying to fix the engine, it cranks but won't start and stalled so I was told to check the MAF sensor first..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Has happened to me. look between the hood and grill, 2 size 10mm(I think) bolts get a socket unscrew them and you in. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it

Old 11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You dont even have to do all that, just look between the grill and the hood, you will see a ring that the hood release cable goes into, push that backwards with a flat head screw driver, and it will open, sounds like what happened to me, the table came out of that ring that holds it in the hood latch, was a easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hood release won't open help!