2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horn not working

Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
pinetopfirefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Horn not working

Hi. New here and thought someone may be able to help. I recently had the multi-function (turn signal) switch replaced. I have now noticed that my horn does not work. Unfortunately, I have moved out of state and unable to take my blazer back to that shop. Odd coincidence that after being in the shop my horn does not work. I am assuming that the mechanic forgot to connect something. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

*combining consecutive posts*

Almost forgot.......... It is a 1998 S10 2 door.

- Matt

*EDIT: swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the Edit function to add any additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Horn not working

First thing I would do is check the fuse. If that is ok, I would switch the relay with the wiper relay (both in the underhood fuse box) and try your wipers. If the wipers work, then you know that the problem mostlikely has something to do with the work that was performed.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member

How difficult is that to fix? I have the Chilton manual, but would hate to screw something up.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuses and relays are all simple to check/change. Try that first and we'll walk you through the rest of the checks if necessary.

You'll just have to remove the underhood fuse box cover (behind the air box on the driver's side). Then look at the label on the underside of the cover to find the horn fuse and relay. If the fuse is good, locate the wiper relay and switch the two. If after you switch them, the wipers stop working, but the horn does, then you have a bad relay.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member

OK... Switched the fuses and nothing from the horn. May sound stupid, but where is the relay?
Nevermind. Found it and tried as you instructed. Still nothing from the horn.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a customer whose horn stoped working the other day, I found the connection for the horn switch was bad. I removed the airbag, then take the horn wire from where it goes into the steering column, (it should be a red wire)and clean the connection there. After I did that it works great. Korey. Also If they removed the airbag to replace the MFS, they could have forgoten to reinstall that wire.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Lazer_Blazer99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem, although my blazer has not been serviced. I noticed my horn has been off and on lately, and now it does not work at all. I replaced the horn fuse, and no avail. I am planning on replacing the relay to see if that works.

My question is, if the relay is not the problem, how would I go about looking in the steering wheel? I know the airbag is there, so I would be very careful before screwing around. But how difficult is it to take the airbag out and take a look?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

FIRST, check for voltage at the horns. If you have vontage and no sound, it's bad horns. The Blazer horns have a high failure rate. Plenty of replacements in junk yards and auto parts stores.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

As I stated earlier, an even easier route is to remove the relay and switch it with the wiper relay. Check the horns, then check the wipers. If the horns work and the wipers don't, buy a new relay, but don't buy a new relay if you don't need it.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Lazer_Blazer99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I replaced the relay before I read your reply about the voltage. How do you check the voltage? Secondly, where is the horn located on a 1999 Chevy Blazer? I've replaced a horn on a 93 Suburban, which had much more room under the hood, and was simple to replace. Blazers have everything crammed in there, and Im assuming it's well-hidden.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn not working