2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horn wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member
raptorman is on a distinguished road
Default Horn wiring diagram

Everybody knows where to get a wiring diagram for the Horn?
I have a four door 1998 blazer. The Horn does not respond when pressing the steering wheel center. But when pressing the panic on the key entry, the horn works. I am a bit concerned about the airbag when trying to locate the problem. Anybody who knows where to find a wiring diagram, or has experienced the same problem?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
rfgmctruck is on a distinguished road

I too have this problem... I hear there are two horns Can one be for the alarm and the other be for the actual horn? Or do both work together

Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This should help:

You can locate this wire in the main wiring harness connector under the steering column. If you are able to ground out this wire and activate the horn, then the switch is bad.

Here is the first table for the pinout of the connector under the column:

Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Beginning Member
raptorman is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you!!!!

Thank you very much for the help!!!!
I`ll try to locate the wire and ground it.

Last edited by raptorman; 11-30-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: wrote wrong
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 AM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:Horn problems

Hey Guy's, I got the same problem.
I grounded out the small gauge black wire and the horn sounded.
You mentioned that this would mean the switch is bad.
Dumb question...are you refering to the Multifuntion Switch (directional signals,wipers etc.)
or is there a relay somewhere that I can't find ?

Thanks
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you grounded out the wire I indicated above at the large connector under the steering column, then the most likely culprit is a bad horn switch in the steering wheel. The relay is triggered by either the BCM (for panic alarm and horn chirps when you lock your doors if so configured) or by the horn switch. Both trigger the horn by grounding terminal 2 of the horn relay.

One other possibility is that the ground to the steering wheel has somehow become faulty or that the clock spring is faulty. The clock spring is the contacts inside the steering column that allow the electronics (Airbag, horn switch - I think..., and possibly steering wheel controls if so equipped) to stay connected as you turn the wheel. If you hold the horn switch down and turn the wheels through their full travel, does the horn ever sound?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
cjh
Beginning Member

I guess I should mention this is a 96 Jimmy...
Currently, I have the horn/airbag assy removed, as well as the Multifuntion switch.
The MFS is still wired up.

I wanted to see if a ground wire or something was loose behind the airbag assy.

The horn used to work 1 outta 20 tries.
What I found was a tube that is spring loaded on both ends,that fits into a hole inside the
steering wheel itself.(This would be spring loaded to the back of the air bag assy) at the bottom of the hole you can see a copper tab(Is this the contact point,when the horn is pushed ?)

I disconnected the black wire at the MFS and grounded it out to the emergency
brake peddle,that's when the horn sounded.

Regard's
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you have a switch issue then.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
cjh
Beginning Member

Pardon my ignorance...which switch ?
If it's the multifuntion,I would like to take it apart...agian (no high beams)(Fixed)
This poor vehical had a aftermarket remote start/security system installed by a previous owner,the main wiring harness was butchered.I removed a wack of wiring that was spliced into the main harness. This thing caused a lot of electrical problems,such as the rear glass popping open when you put it in drive.I think it works now...along with the push button that opens the glass from the outside of the tailgate (never worked before)

Thanks again
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator

The horn switch is not part of the multifunction switch.

The attached schematic should help. Your steering wheel may be slightly different, but it should be similar in regards to the horn switch.

Attached Thumbnails Horn wiring diagram-85111025.gif  

Quick Reply: Horn wiring diagram