2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to adjust the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to adjust the headlights?

We just bought a 96 4dr with the one piece headlights.

Problem is....

The daytimes --- Drivers side is pointed up and Pass. side is normal
The lows ---- Drivers side is up alittle higher than the Pass. side but is still straight
The Highs ---- Drivers side is WAY in the trees and Pass. side is up and to the left of normal

How in the world do I adjust these things?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to adjust the headlights?

When you say "one piece", do you mean the composite headlight assembly? The headlight and side marker light are one piece?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Starting Member

Yeah thats them.

One piece headlight and sidemarker

It looks like 3 bulbs too, High, low, daytime?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can adjust them trial and error or use the info found in this thread Headlight Level.

Let me know if you need any more information.

BTW, Found the picture below on eBay and I'm pretty sure that this is the headlamp you've got. The lights inside are one low beam, one highbeam and a side marker light. I can't remember whether this blinks when your turnsignal is on or not, but it's a light duty bulb, definitely not your DRLs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/59FE4101CBEF4478B99832016B182D17.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM

Yep, those are the composite headlight assemblies, however, the screws sticking up in the picture aren't for adjusting. Those attach the assemblies to the frame. The side marker lights do blink with the bumper mounted blinker and the "DRL" light is simply the high beam lamp which is underpowered when used as the DRL. Check out this link from another forum that I frequently attend. Near the end of the thread is where the adjusting directions are.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...light+assembly

Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification on those posts. I just thought that's what they were for when I saw them.

Here's a hard link to the specific post with the info:
'96 Headlight Aiming

Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 PM

No problem. Incidently, the Haynes manual incorrectly calls them the adjuster screws too.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Starting Member

Thanks everyone!!... I found the adjusters and was able to adjust the low beams were they are supposed to be BUT the daytimes and highs are still way off. I guess I'll just deal with it for now as long as the lows are good.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a bulb didn't get put in correctly or the bulb itself is bent. Because the headlamp is one peice for both the highs and lows, when you adjust one, the other follows. As such, there is nothing else that could effect the pattern of the high beams by themselves except the installation of the bulb or the bulb being bent.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 AM

I agree.