2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to change fuel filter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member
azembdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to change fuel filter???

Hey guys,

Any words of advice for a newbie to change my fuel filter??? I was told there is a speacial tool required for the job???

Will it cause a big problem if all the fuel drains out of the line in the process???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How to change fuel filter???

You do not need any special tools. The quick disconnect fitting can be disassembled with a small screwdriver for pushing in the plastic clips. The other side will require some penetrating oil a few times a day for a week prior to the job to make it as easy as possible. You may also want to use line wrenches for the threaded fittings.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Kyle-did I miss something-what year it this(OP's) Blazer-does it even have the clips? JP[:@]

Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, provided he posted in the proper section, yes, it should have the quick disconnect fitting on the front and the threaded connection on the back. I believe that all 2nd gens are this configuration.

*EDIT* - I did just look up what he had and it seems that the 95 & 96 trucks are consistent with the 1st gens as far as the fuel filter goes with threaded connections on both ends. So disregard the comment about the quick disconnect.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle-depending on the definition of second gen.(I see it's 95-up) the clip configuration is not used until 98(model year-99% sure of the year). So depending on the year of this Blazer in question-he may only need to break both ends loose(5/8's and 25/32nds/ish), undo the bracket and change. By the way-I still think you've got a serious wealth of info between your ears and as a fellow New Yorker-keep it up! You know your #%@^!JP PS by no means do I have any agenda in correcting your info-just didn't want any confusion for the original poster. And by the way-you were right about my valve job on a 93 Blazer a couple(4-6or so) months ago! See if you remember that one!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

I edited my post while you were posting. You were correct. He has a 95 and the 95-96 2nd gens use the same filter as most of the 1st gens which has threaded connections on either end. I had assumed that with the change in body style, they would have changed over to the newer setup. 97 was the first year of the quick disconnect outlet.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

97's have the quick connect also.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Gotcha there again as well! LOL

Anyway, suffice to say that to get the filter off as easy as possible, use lots of penetrating oil a few times a day for a few days before attempting to remove the filter. Having the proper line wrenches will also help greatly reduce your chances of rounding over a line fitting.