2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

how to do radiator flush

Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default how to do radiator flush

I did a search but only found kind of run around awnsers and quick half-*** jobs, but I was told by a mechanic that I should do this soon. Could someone give me a quick but thorough run through on how-to do a complete radiator flush and what equipment do I have to buy to do this (i.e. things to replace and/or things I need), Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 05:58 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: how to do radiator flush

youd need the machine to do it right BUT, you can do it at home with a garden hose and a heater line adapter.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know I've explained it before (and I don't think I've been the half-...'d poster on this subject), but I'll do it again...

Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses after draining the radiator using the drain on the bottom of the passenger side tank. Remove the block drains (there are illustrations showing their locations) - these can be a pain to remove. Remove the heater hoses. Flush through the block, radiator, and heater core separately with the garden hose.

If you wanted a quicker way of doing it and can get it completed before the temps drop (if they drop in your area), then drain the radiator using the drain. Fill with water and drive around. Repeat until you've got almost clear water circulating through the system. Don't drive it much while you are doing this. Only enough to get it up to temp. Then drain everything as best you can (block drains aren't all that necessary) and flush through atleast 4 gallons of distilled water. This would be when you want to remove the heater core hoses and flush through there as well. Dump in 1.5 gallons of the coolant of your choice and top off with distilled water.

You'll undoubtably want to remove the coolant bottle and give that a thorough cleaning as well. Take the bottle that has a 1/2 gallon of coolant still in it and fill it up using distilled water. This will be what you put into the overflow bottle once it's all cleaned and back on the truck.

Now when I did my Bravada, I removed the inner fender and that made it a bunch easier to get to the radiator drain and since I already had the PCM and coolant bottle out (pcm has to be removed to get to the coolant bottle), it was quite easy to remove the inner fender (battery and battery tray have to come out as well).

If this isn't enough information, just let me know and I can clarify more where necessary, but please specify what things are unclear.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I do mine a little differently.
I take out the thermostat (going to replace it anyway).
Take the radiator hose off the water pump.
That will give you four openings.
Stuff your garden hose in each one and let it run for a few minutes.
You can pull one of the heater core hoses if you wish, then stuff your garden hose in each of those openings as well.

There you go, flushing in all directions.
Replace the thermostat, reconnect teh hoses, add 1 gallon of anti-freeze, add distilled water till full. Fire up the engine and let it run, check temp range of anti-freeze and add accordingly.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. I don't remember where, btu I saw somewhere someone posted on how to do this and I couldn't figuyre out at all where they were going. Sounds easy enough.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, pretty easy.
Let us know how it goes for ya.
Maybe you could do a write up for others?
Being that this is your first time you will know what concerns other first timers have and can address them in the write up. I'm afraid that if I did the write up I would skip over a whole bunch of stuff. Actually you got my Readers digest version.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Lckyctch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Should Ireplace water pump,t-stat, & hoses while changing my coolant? I have about 6/yrs & 112K miles andhaven't yet changedmy coolant (Dexcool) or any of the other things above. Also, I pulled a bonehead move and drove for like half a year with air in my system. When I peak in the top of the rad cap, its not a pretty sight...althoughI am not overheating or anything. Will a good flush clean out the gunk I see or have I done permanent damage by waiting so long? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A good flush should do you right.

No need to change out the water pump unless it is leaking. The hoses are your call. I would inspect them carefully and replace as necessary.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I don't have a drain plug

Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator

The newer ones do not, forcing you to pull the lower hose off to drain it.. 10/16/2007???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to do radiator flush