2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

how to get starter out

Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 AM
laserblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to get starter out

howdy all
i tried to get the starter out of my 03 4x4 and i could not figure out how to manuever it out of the tight spot it was in. framework and suspension was so tight i could not get it out. i did get real lucky and only had to tighten the ground wire and was back in business, but would like to know what it takes to get the starter out out the engine compartment for future use. been working on cars for 36 plus years and hate it when engineers design a vehicle with out non-dealer mechanics in mind. i wish the engineers had to work on cars after they designed them. but hey the complete engine is installed as one piece with little regard to component access. any one out there had to change out starter? i would appreciate any insight.
loving my laser

Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: how to get starter out

I love it how non-engineers always blame the engineer for putting things in 'difficult' spots. If a dealer can remove the starter, so can everyone else. Experience wins out in terms of how 'easy' a swap it is. Let me just say that engineers don't design things to be difficult for everyone but the dealership mechanics. Most of the packaging is dictated by using legacy items (items that have been around for a while) to cut down on cost, which the engineer has no say in what so ever.

You think you have it tough though... Try changing the starter on the Northstar v8... Here's a hint, it isn't located on the outside of the engine.

More on this topic, it may be a tight fit, but it does come out of there. Just have to get creative on how you position the starter.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, it can be done. I've been working on cars for 30+ years as well and this is the tightest placement of the starter I've seen on what is essentially a Chevy small block. Patience and lots of maneuvering.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
midajahlynn is an unknown quantity at this point

a eazy way is buy some beer have some friends come over someone will get it out

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 AM

thank you all for your responses. i really appreciate it. and i am sorry for making a blanket statement about engineers, but having worked for gm for 33+ years i do know a thing or two about how cars are designed and assembled. it is all about the cost savings of manufacturing. if has anyone has ever had the pleasure of removing the heater core on the2nd generation of saturn s-series cars would understand the frustrations of the home mechanic.or the blower motor on a 78 buick skylark. and one version of the monte carlo required quitea feat to get the back spark plug out. i realize blaming the engineers was wrong and becasue i work with them all the time i know they are only following orders and are probably the must underappreciated members of manufacturing. sorry again.
laser

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I work with them every day. Some are absolutely amazing and a very few are'nt very good. The bad ones are usually related to someone.Probably just like any other field. The pretenders are being weeded out though--and very quickly. In the last five years I've seen them do some pretty amazing things where I work. I've been involved in many projects where the engineers do an amazing job and then the bean counters come back and tell them to do it cheaper. Those guys have a really tough job and sometimes put in a grueling amount of hours. We usually only notice when something goes wrong but I'm in quality control so I often am amazed at what they do right and most people won't even notice. We've got some really amazing things going on at GM. Some days I look around and it's like being in Disneyworld. I guess that all gets lost when you're underneath a car which is two feet off the ground though LOL. 31 GM years of rambling right there.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

For starter removal I've found that if you twist it just the right way as you pull it forward, guide the solenoid close to the block and through some of the braces until you can tip the nose cone down and pull the starter out.

Nothing personal to our engineer friends ( and I wouldn't be smart enough to be one if I wanted to),but we always thought that engineers were just people that were given drugs and locked in a room with pencils and paper.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 AM

thanks filstoy
it's always nice to get other peoples perpective. in my years at gm i've seen a lot of good engineers get treated so bad they went elsewhere. some of ford's best engineers are gmi grads that gm paid to educate then underpaid them to the point they left. bean counting can go to such extremes that it doesn't make sense sometimes
laser

Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 AM

thanks for the input chevy lover.
now i know it can be done. i surely didn't mean to stir up the hornets nest with my remarks about the engineers. i started out being accepted to general motors insitute of technology back in 1973 but then the arab oil embargo ended that short lived career so i ended up being a gm grease monkey for the next 33 some odd years.
anyway after i found out that a wire was loose and i tightened it all is well. and i can bless the engineers and and continue to enjoy my ride
laser

Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: laserblazer
one version of the monte carlo required quitea feat to get the back spark plug out.
That wouldn't happen to be the Z34 Monte Carlo, now would it? lol

For the future, to make it easier to do, take out the dogbone, let the car either roll forward in park to tilt the engine (a little harder to put it back without running the car w/o a dogbone) or use a pry bar on the lift hook, and push with one foot, while using a long extension to get that middle plug... make sure to remove the weather stripping to make it a little easier...

As for the blazer starter... If Chevy's method doesn't work for you... Remember, that's why we have hammers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to get starter out