2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

computer help with 96 blazer

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default computer help with 96 blazer

Hey guys... first post / new member. I recently bought a 1996 blazer 4D from one of my friends for about $1600. The car has about 200k miles on it, but the engine sounds and runs like its brand new.

My problem is my check engine light and the computer. I went to get it emission tested and it failed because the check engine light bulb is out. They said just replace the bulb and ill pass. I need some other work done so i bring it to my mechanic the other day to get everything fixed. They call today and say they're having problems with the CEL. They took the dash apart and replaced the bulb and it still doesn work. They said they traced it back to the computer and that's the reason why its not going on. I need this CEL light to pass emissions and get this thing registered.

They want to charge me about $800 for parts and labor to get this fixed. I called anothermechanic and it was slightly more. The car only cost me $1600 so i really dont want to spend all this money to getfixed. I just wanted a nice cheap car i could drive around. It runs perfect but a stupid light is going to cost me $800.

Anyideas here? Any ways I can save some more or what I should do?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: computer help with 96 blazer

Get a junkyard PCM. You will need to check the installed options to make sure they are similar and you will need a PCM from a 96-97 truck, but you should be able to find one for relatively cheap at a junkyard.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Starting Member

Never gota part from a junkyard... how does it work? Do I just call up and ask if they have what i need?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point

Junk yards are fun. Down here in AZ there are many and I love them, strange eh? Most better ones will tell you if they have it when you call as this type of part is taken directly from the wrecked car as soon as it comes in and stored indoors on a shelf, if they did not do that it would quickly dissapear in someones toolbox or coat as they left the yard. Swartlkk is pretty good with this kind of stuff from what I read on his posts. I imagine once you secure one, get back on the board and believe me, him and a ton of others will get you going on what needs to be done to make it a successful job. Best of Luck Amigo

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Starting Member

Anyone know the OEM part number for my PCM? I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm looking for when I start calling around... and I definitely dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Is this what I'm looking for? Under $100??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blaze...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point

That one is from a boneyard. No local junk yards ? You can get one for about half that if they have one and its a lot closer then waiting for it to come in the mail but hey, its up to you.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact the eBay seller and ask if it matters what options the vehicle was equiped with. I believe it matters with the later model trucks, but not sure about the early 2nd gens. The VIN reprogramming should would be probably an hour shop rate charge at the dealer making that PCM look awful tempting.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Starting Member

Ok just contacted the seller and this is what he told me...

"With your purchase we will program the computer to your vin number for an exact vehicle match.

The computer is ready to install when you recieve it. Upon installation your mechanic may have to do a CKP relearn if your vehicle gives a P1336 code after start up. The CKP relearn takes about 5 minutes to complete once the engine is warmed up.

The CKP is dependent upon your vehicle and not that of the replacement computer so I can't tell you for sure if your vehicle will need it. About 1-2% of our customers inform us that their vehicle required the procedure."

Does it sound like a good buy here?My mechanic will install for $160... What do you guys think?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Try to install it yourself first. $160 to do a CKP relearn is outrageously high.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

If u can find a full service U-Pull-it yard, it will be significantly cheaper then a yard that pulls stuff out of the rigs. We have a yard here (oregon) that has that very computer you need just sitting on a truck. Id go get it for you but unfortunately my trans is shot. Blazer PCMs are huge so not to much a chance of pocketing one unless they have big pocket or the yard doesn't check your toolbox( allot of yards do). also there was a TSB for the 96' about bad grounds in the PCM, so you may want to check if you have the updated computer/or make sure the one you get is updated.

EDIT: oh yah... install of PCM is a breeze, just unhook neg bat cable, then unscrew PCM, unconnect PCM, connect new PCM, rebolt PCM and reconnect neg bat cable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: computer help with 96 blazer