2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Humming noise!!help please!!

Old 12-03-2006, 04:59 PM
blazerium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Humming noise!!help please!!

Hi everybody I did a lot of search for trying to resolves my problem,but nothing.

The noise seems comes to right front end ( I think...)and happened when the suspension rises over a bump and stop when the suspension down.When the road has no bump I heard nothing.
in a bump road(when the suspension work) I heard huuum...huuum at each bump...it's not very pleasant.I put my 4 news winters tires on last week and the noise is still there.Then I removing my right bearing to check it in my hand and I heard a little noise when I rotate it.In my head I said it's surely the problem!!I went to buy a new bearing and install it the same day...surprise the noise is still there.

Anyone has an idea about this noise,maybe it's normal?

Can it be my front shock(They don't new but I don't have a "boat feeling")
Maybe the left bearing...it's difficult to be sure where the noise come from...but happens when the front shocks rises.

My four balljoints are new + right bearing new + four tire balanced new.
My pitman arm have some loose,but I don't think in relation with the noise.
I have a new pitman in my hand but it's not on the truck yet.

Anyone ever had this strange noise?

Thank you guys!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Humming noise!!help please!!

Do you get any noises when turning? Reason I ask is because it is possible that it is a CV joint going out on you.

If it is when the suspension rises only, it is possible that the CV shaft is not being allowed to slide as the suspension travels up and is binding.

Well... That would be if this is a 4wd truck anyhow... Is it?

Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is does it do this when you are sitting completely still over a bump. If it hums then that will eliminate a lot of things to check.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will it make the noise if you push on the bumper to make the right side go up and down when the truck is parked...maybe when you do that you have a partner bounce the bumper up n down and you near the right front to listen for the noise?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 PM

thank you guys for youts answers.

swartlkk: no noise when I turn left or right...I will check to be sure tonight when I'm going to work at ...midnight[:'(]

it's a 1996 4wd,what you said about CV joints have a lot of sens.
is it be a wrong CV joints even it makes no turnig noise?

Nofear17bmx:I verify to be sure tonight...but I,m not sure to catch the sens of your questions because I'm not perfect bilingual(I speak in french)

20blazer00: I did what you said both side and I heard a little tock both side ,I don't know if it's normal.

thank you guys!!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is a little nock (tock) then it might be a rubber bushing is wearing out. Here is a test to do get some WD40 and spray the rubber bushings in the front end one set at a time. For example one time spray the swaybar mounting bushings. The next time spray an upper/lower control arm etc. until you find the noise is gone and then you will know where the problem is....sometimes rust will build up in places and cause a noise the WD40 will displace some of the rust.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

During turning, you are working the CV joints differently than when you go over bumps. The CV shafts have to telescope/retract depending on the position of the suspension. If the suspension rises, the shaft will have to retract because its angle to horizontal will decrease and as such, it's length must decrease. If it is binding up... it will try to force itself into the differential case...

But that all depends on the noise... A binding CV shaft would be more of a grinding vibration type noise...

Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 AM

Ok guys,I realize tonight that when Iengage my blazer on" 4x4 HI",on the highway,this strange "humming noise" stop completely.
when I remove the 4x4 HI,the noise is back.

is this an important clue guys to help me to resolve this problem?

thanks and let me know what do you think about that!!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Sounds like your front axle may not be disengaging, or attempting to disengage, but not quite making it. Also, check your front driveshaft for play in the joints.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Ok swartlkk,I will verify my front driveshaft joints.
for the disengaging 4x4,how i can be sure that,s is not completly disengage?

put the truck on the ice on the 2wd hi and tchek if the front wheels spin?

Thank you!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming noise!!help please!!