2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I'm changing my fuel pump never done this before

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 AM
liquidprozak is on a distinguished road
Default I'm changing my fuel pump never done this before

Hello and thank you for providing a forum specifically for my Blazer. I'm so happy to be here. I found a lot of posts on google that were on this forum and I decided that I should become a member. Everyone seems to have a lot of useful information an experience.

So now on to my problem. I have my 1997 Blazer lifted and sitting on jack stands. I'm at the point in the fuel pump process where I need to take off the inlet hose from the tank and from the other end. Is there a special trick to get that rubber hose off that metal hose? I purchased this used and I'm not sure it is the fuel pump is ever been changed. I'm going to guess that it never has and that these hoses have never messed with. It has 195,000 miles on it and for it's age it's in really good shape. Do I need to just put a screwdriver in and get that hose separated? Maybe I'm being too gentle but the hose will not separate. Can I use any kind of lubricant? Since the blazer is so old should I just cut the rubber hose and replace it? I really really don't wanna do that but if I have to I will. Thank you for any ideas you might have.

Again this is the first time I have ever change the fuel pump in any vehicle and I may have more questions.

Thank you
Ben

Old 02-25-2012, 04:25 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

If the hose is on metal,be careful but you can twist the rubber back and forth,and it can help break it loose. rubber likes to bond like fat kid and cake. Sometimes you can take a tiny screwdriver and pry your way around it.

random :
Did you buy an ac delco pump or a aftermarket? Lets just say that if its not a delco,you'll be back in it soon...Our blazers are picking with whats feeding them.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 AM
ratrodsare4ever is on a distinguished road

I agree with Chris. I bought a delphi pump to put in mine, but ac delco or delphi ones will work just fine. Heard alot of problems from those airtex ones.... so i bit the bullet and bought the high dollar one! Havent had a problem yet. And yes when you use the little screw driver you can put a little lubricant when you pry up on the rubber hose just dont pry to hard you could tear the hose.... then twist should come right off Mine wasnt hard to do at all. Just take your time and you should be just fine

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member
01LtBlAzEr is on a distinguished road

I'm living proof Airtex doesn't work. Replaced mine last month w an Airtex and now I'm having to turn the key on/off a few times before I can start it...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
MG DAVE is on a distinguished road

Not rubber hose. The lines to the fuel pump snap on. There is a removal tool but you can squeeze them by hand to remove. Don't forget the line at the front of the tank; if you drop the tank without removing the front hose you will break the valve and add 15 bucks and another trip to the parts store. Might want to replace the tank at the same time. Pumps are not cheap.

DAVE

Last edited by MG DAVE; 02-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Kknd310 is on a distinguished road

if your talking about the actual fuel lines that run from the tank up to the motor, there should be 2 plastic tabs that you need to push in then pull the lines apart while holding the tabs. if its just rubber hoses that were help on by clamps to the gas thank itself, just spray some wd40 on em and give them hell till they pop off. and yea only get AC Delco/Delphi fuel pumps

also watch for the breather valve on the front of the tank, snapped mine and needed a new tank. Hope this helps!

Mike

Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
msfan324 is on a distinguished road

I just recently replaced the fuel pump on my blazer with a new AC Delco pump and ran into this same problem. I had the fuel lines and the tank straps disconnected and couldn't get them to budge. I finally wrapped an old tow rope over the top of the connections on the tank and pulled down as hard as I could. This finally did the trick and broke the hoses loose.

Not sure if this applies to all Blazers but I didn't know about the tank vent valves so be sure to disconnect the lines from the two tank vent valves or you will bust them off like I did. There is one at the front of the tank and one at the rear near the pump. The one at the front can be reached by reaching in over the top of the take near the frame rail.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
liquidprozak is on a distinguished road
Default thank you for your replies, everyone

Well you will see what an amateur I am because the Blazer is still up in the stands. I got the hoses off. Tank out. Pump replaced and the tank on top of a sheet of plywood and lifted just about into positio with a floor Jack. Unfortunately I hooked up the vent valve too soon and had to move the tank into a better position and in the process broke the valve tube. It delayed me one day because NO ONE carries that part in stock. I visited a parts yard and spent 1.5 hours. Scouring the yard and found one in great shape for $5.

The thing I need to do is get the wraps on and hook up hoses and ground wires.

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions and tips. I still have yet to start up the car and see if the pump fixed the problem. I will post and let you know.