2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Impossible Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It can be fun. You should try to remove the wiring before dropping it out. You have to flip/rotate/curse/rotate/flip/repeat and then all of the sudden it will fall out on your chest. The replacement will pretty much be the same way to get in. It does fit, but it is not easy to figure out exactly how. About the time that your arm strength is giving out, it'll slide up into place.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Starting Member
DrewA is on a distinguished road

No Luck.. I was able to replace the starter last night. All went well, but quite a pain to get out of there!

Anyway, I ran it for a bit and parked it for the night. This morning, SAME THING. It takes about 5-10 seconds of cranking to finally start.

Now I'm totally frustrated and really do not know what do do..

Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
A/M/G is on a distinguished road

I am confused. First you say the battery drains fast in 10 minutes with a hell of a time starting, if the battery drains it will not start. Last you say it cranks for 5 to 10 seconds before starting, after replacing the starter.

What makes you think it is the battery if the engine cranks that long? I would be looking elsewhere if it cranks that long. It shoud fire off in 1 to 2 seconds. If it cranks that long I would be looking at possible fuel problems. These trucks are known for fuel problems, Fuel pressure regulator, pump, spider, fuel filter, etc.

I am just saying I do not understand the issue of the battery. I read the thread twice and am not sure if the battery is the issue.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by A/M/G
I am confused. First you say the battery drains fast in 10 minutes with a hell of a time starting, if the battery drains it will not start. Last you say it cranks for 5 to 10 seconds before starting, after replacing the starter.

What makes you think it is the battery if the engine cranks that long? I would be looking elsewhere if it cranks that long. It shoud fire off in 1 to 2 seconds. If it cranks that long I would be looking at possible fuel problems. These trucks are known for fuel problems, Fuel pressure regulator, pump, spider, fuel filter, etc.

I am just saying I do not understand the issue of the battery. I read the thread twice and am not sure if the battery is the issue.
Sorry I have made this so confusing. The truck will start almost always, unless it sits for 2 or more days. 90% of the time it cranks for 5-10 seconds before starting... The reasons I have for the battery/drain is the fact that when you get in and turn the key to the on position, the battery gauge will read 10v or less. and the fact that if you let it sit for 48 hrs it will be completely dead.

The shop I took it to said there is a significant draw on the battery, but it goes in and out. Because of that, they cannot get it to stay in the drawing state long enough at one time to find the cause.

I'm really willing to try anything at this point. I have noticed from time to time that if the truck is parked for awhile immediately after I fill it up , the problem will not occur. But again, thats maybe 50-50 at best.

I'm now looking at testing the fuel pressure, ignition relay, etc.

Any other ideas?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member

If it happens 80% of the time, what happens, fast drain of battery to the point the engine will not turn over or the eng turns and is hard to start. 2 completely differnt items. If the eng will not turn over, yes possibly the battery, if it turns for along time before starting, no not the battery.
Like Kyle says that much of a draw should not be hard to find, something should be warm or hot and I am leaning toward HOT. Are you reading the voltage from the teminals attached to the battery or the battery post themselves. Corrosion between the two can give bad information if read on the terminals. Check the voltage on the battery post and be sure to press the meter leads into/onto the post very well..

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by A/M/G
If it happens 80% of the time, what happens, fast drain of battery to the point the engine will not turn over or the eng turns and is hard to start. 2 completely differnt items. If the eng will not turn over, yes possibly the battery, if it turns for along time before starting, no not the battery.
Like Kyle says that much of a draw should not be hard to find, something should be warm or hot and I am leaning toward HOT. Are you reading the voltage from the teminals attached to the battery or the battery post themselves. Corrosion between the two can give bad information if read on the terminals. Check the voltage on the battery post and be sure to press the meter leads into/onto the post very well..
The truck will almost always turn over (unless its left for 2 days+), but it takes time, usually 5-10 seconds of cranking to start the truck.. if the truck is only left for a couple minutes 5 mins or less, there is no problem at all.. if its left for any longer than that, the problem starts ...Does this mean that its not a battery issue??
Sometimes (20% of the time) it can take up to 15 seconds of cranking, at which point the truck will actually start shaking REALLY HARD right before it starts.

I have the multimeter hooked up between the battery post and positive wire running from the truck.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member

I would not really trust the dash meter. I would go to the battery post for my voltage reading. If it takes 2 days for the battery to die it sounds like a bad cell in the battery. If you leave the interior light on, very small amp draw, the battery will die in a few hours not 2 days. I know it is hard to believe, but parts can be bad from supply. I had bought bad parts many times. I have also had batteries go bad and do exactly what your battery does. Are you sure your alternator is good? How are you charging the battery, jumping or deep charging with a charger? If you are jumping and you alternator is not working correctly the battery may not be charged ample to live for more than 2 days. If jumped it charges quickly voltage but not enough amps.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

Look at the fuel, it sounds like the fuel pressure is dropping off. If less tha 5 min the pressure may not have enough time to drop off. 5 seconds is WAY TOO LONG for the truck to start, 10 or 15 never. Sounds like it is starving for fuel if it is shaking really hard before starting.

I got to go talk to ya later.

Last edited by A/M/G; 06-30-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Starting Member

When it completely dies, I've jumped it. This problem was happening for awhile, then I replaced the battery and it had no effect. I dont think its the battery itself, but i'll have it tested.

What else could make it take so long (10 seconds) to crank? Would a bad fuel pump make it take 10 secs to get fuel to the engine??

Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

To touch upon what AMG stated, I would invest in a decent battery charger. I am having an issue with my battery draining but I'm pretty sure my capacitor for my amp is failing and slowly discharging the battery. I have found when I just jump it it is more inclined to drop below 12V, especially after sitting for a while. When you jump it, you are only putting a surface charge in it. Do you have another battery you could temporary swap out to rule out a faulty (new) battery?

Quick Reply: Impossible Battery Drain