2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

intake/timing/misfire issues too

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
97 POS is on a distinguished road
Default intake/timing/misfire issues too (updated) FIXED

I did not want to hijack fish4stripers post so I started my own.

I have a 1997 4.3 that I did intake gaskets on this past weekend. Just like fish4stripers post I have #5 misfire code, and it idle/runs rough. It was running good prior to the intake job. I did not disturb the plentum or injectors when I took the intake off. Not on purpose anyway.. I have good spark at the #5 plug and the plug looks good other then a slight carbon flim that I think is recent. I will try midnightblu's idea of disconnecting the coil, crank it and see if there are wet and dry plugs to determine if it is the injector. The local dealer has 1 injector in stock for $140.

I also have a ckp code. I think I got that because I forgot to plug in the cam sensor on the distributor prior to starting it up. I am pretty sure the distributor went in exactly the same position it came out. However my son decided to spin the bottom gear while it was out, but I did have the rotor marked to the housing. If the misfire issue is fixed will the ckp code go away or do I have to do a relearn because it was started with out the cam sensor connected?

I have a couple things I would like to mention to help others...
2 years ago I did a basic tune. Cap, rotor, plugs, etc. Less then a year later multi cylinder misfire. After scratching my head bald for a whole weekend with the idea it couldn't be related to any of the recently installed tune up parts, I took it to the dealer where he charged me $175.00 to diagnose and put a new distributor cap on. USE OEM PARTS after market parts are junk.

When I was reinstalling the distributor it would not seat in the right position because the oil pump was not inline. Once I found the position where it would seat in the oil pump I lifted the distributor up just enough to turn the rotor 1 tooth and reseated it in the oil pump. I repeated this until it was where my mark was.

Any info or insight on my issues is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Yeap, it was the #5 injector. I got to the dealership too late to get an OE replacement so I got one from the chain auto parts store for $65.00 It is a borg Warner. Got it put back together and she purrrrs like a kitten....FOR NOW... lol

Still baffeld how removing the intake messed it up. Maybe when I turned the intake upside down to clean the gasket surface it did something to the injector. ???????????????

Last edited by 97 POS; 03-31-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM
97 POS is on a distinguished road

It is fixed. I tried to edit the title but it did not show up on the original post

Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed. Hopefully that injector holds up for you and doesn't cause other issues (imbalance). If you only had to replace one injector, then you should be ok. More than one and you really should start looking into replacing all of them at once.