2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior Lights stay on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Interior Lights stay on all the time

Last year, I had my interior lights were staying on all the time, I ended up replacing the headlight switch in the dash and it fixed the problem for months, everything was good, now the problem is back. Today I pulled out all 4 door switches and the dome light and courtesy lights at your feet still will not go out, I checked out the back but didn't notice any sort of switch. The switch on passenger side door was not plugged into anything, after tearing the glove box apart and taking it out, I noticed there was no connector in there even to hook up to the door switch in the dash. So know that I'm even more confused, should I replace the headlight switch again considering it fixed my problem before, or does someone have a better idea, for know keep the fuse pulled in the dash, so lights don't stay on all the time. I have a 2001 blazer LT, any suggestions would be helpful, thinking of trying out another headlight switch if I can find a cheap one, thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The switches on front doors are in the latch inside the door. There is also a switch in the rear tailgate (or liftgate depending on how your truck is equipped).

If you can grab another headlight switch from a junkyard, that would be the quickest and easiest test to perform. Tracking down a switch or wiring problem can get very time consuming.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Starting Member

I have the a rear tailgate version, I had the entire tailgate apart, can you tell what I'm looking for in the tailgate and doors?? Thanks for the info thou.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The switch is part of the latch in both cases. It is integrated. If you disconnect the electrical connection to the latch, you should disconnect the lighting circuit. I do not know if these switches are open when the door is closed like the old style door jam switches were, or if they are closed while the door is closed.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Starting Member

I pulled the dash apart once again, and disconnected the connectors to the headlight switch. They lights stayed on, so I guess there is a wiring problem somewhere? Could one of those door switches be causing all this??? What is the best way to get to the door switches in the front 2 doors, thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Best way to get to the door switches is to remove the door panel and the weather deflector. You may be able to find the wiring under the dash and disconnect the entire door harness at that point.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Starting Member

Is removing the door panels tough?? Any advice?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

There should be more than enough information in other posts here about removing the door panels. Given the proper tools, there really is not much to it.