2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior lights stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
naicher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interior lights stuck on

I have a '97 4x4 Blazer and the interior lights are stuck on. The only way that I can keep them off is to pull the crtsy light fuse (#2) which also disables the horn and a host of other things. I've tried disconnecting the door jamb switches nothing worked. Is there any advise out there?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 AM
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Interior lights stuck on

theres another post about this.. is the button that that turns the dome on pushed all the way up? if it is thats why the dome light stays on.

[/align]

Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM
naicher is an unknown quantity at this point

The only way I can turn my dome light on is with the dimmer switch so no the button to turn on the dome light is not stuck.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i dont really know why you have that problem and unless someone comes along with a technical solution i have one. since im willing to bet that the light is draining your battery when the blazer is off and i know i dont use mine much pop the cover off the dome light and disconnect it or take it out.
there is a good possibibility that since yours is a newer model than my old one that to any knowledgeable person reading this i will sound like an idiot. before heeding my advice you are warned.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
blazerboy30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did the exact same thing. I figured out though..by pulling both (drivers and passengers) buttons(located on the side/bottom of dash) that the lights will come on and shut off on their own. Thankfully the only thing that the buttons took away was the annoying buzz you hear when the doors open.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
jimmy2blzr96 is on a distinguished road

my 96 jimmy is doing the exact same thing. its a pain to have to remove the fuse every time i get out so the battery doesn't die. is there anyway to check one of the switches is broken? i don't think its the driver side door because that annoying door buzzing noise still comes on.i could be wrong though. someone also said replacing the dimmer switch might fix the problem.any one done before?any tips?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to check out the switches is to remove them one at a time and test. You should have continuity when the switch is free and it should disconnect when depressed.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member
jimmy2blzr96 is on a distinguished road

i tested all 5 door switches and they all seem to be in working order. any other ideas before i rip my dash out n replace the dimmer switch?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With all 5 switches out, have you tested the wiring continuity to ground? If that is continuous to ground, it could be a wiring fault. Try it with the dimmer switch connected, then with it disconnected.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

My truck was in an accident before I bought it. It turns out that the passenger front door was slightly warped. I know this because the top weather gasket didn't seal to the door. I found out (by pulling the switch out) that that door was the one that kept my dome lights on also. I used super glue and glued the top of a tylenol bottle to the door where the button hits. It turned out the door was not pushing the plunger in far enough to turn the lights off. With that little extra spacer the lights now go off fine. So maybe some kind of spacer on your doors (suspect the fronts first) might make a difference. The passenger side is easier to get out. If you pull the plunger out it'll disconnect the top from the internal barrel and then you'll have to drop a kick board anyhow. But the passenger side is up behind the fuse box. A little trickier to get a hand in to get it out.