2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lots of trans related issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Beginning Member
SteveCZ28 is on a distinguished road
Default Lots of trans related issues

i just recently got a 97 s10 blazer lt...previous owner put in a transmission, and noticed it was leaking pretty bad so he sold it to me...i noticed right away the leak is coming from in between the transmission and transfer case....upon driving home i hear this loud clunking/banging on the floor. after getting it home i look and i can see the front u koint closest to the transfer case is actually making contact with the floor....but the real kicker is i can moved the transmission and transfer case about an inch up or down if i grab the tail shaft housing...im thinkign this is just enough play to cause the u joint to slam into the floor? and is it literally just that 1 ruybber trans mount holding the entire assembly up? im just kinda worried and hoping i did nt get a lemon, but if i could figure out why i can move the tansmission up and down and the leak between the transfer case and transmission i think i will have a good running truck...please help guys. i appreciate it in advance

Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is likely a combination of transmission mount and motor mount.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

how hard is it to do the motor mounts??? and you think its both motor and trans mounts are giving just enough to cause this problem?? thanks for the reply

Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like one or more are shot. If a motor mount goes bad, it can take out the trans mount as well.

The transmission mount is easy enough to remove and check. The motor mounts are quite a bit more challenging.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member

well i can kinda see the trans mount squish upon moving the trans and xfer case by hand....ok so i have to do some mounts...how hard is it to pull the transfer case to see what is up with the leaking in there? i kinda see a adapter between the trans and xfer case..do i pull it literally off the trans or after this adapeter piece thats about 4 inches long?? thanks again

Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator

You would pull it loose where it connects to the transmission. Use RTV to seal this interface back up. Just be sure to clean things really well before applying a thin layer of RTV.

While you have the transfer case down, it would be a good time to replace the sometimes problematic front input seal.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member

got the transfer case out....the seal has a little tear in the front input of the transfer case...also on the bottom of the trans by the out put shaft of the trans there is a hole in the bottom inside case....is this normal? becuae when i took the transfercase adaptoer off i found this hole leaking alot of trans fluid...i think its factory...but dont know

Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Yes, the hole is supposed to be there.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Beginning Member

all fixed. thanks for the information i needed. i really appreciate it...

Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

What did you do to fix it?