2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Wareever is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent Airbag Light

Purchased a 2004 Blazer 4WD in very good condition with 137,000 mile last month and have done a few things to get it back into shape. Dealing with an intermittent airbag light now that comes on in the morning when it's cool out, but will be off in the afternoon when it's hot...usually. The last few days or so, I noticed that when it is on and I get to work (about 20 miles), as soon as I put the shift lever in park the light goes off. Turning the vehicle will not make it come on or go off and the horn works fine as if the clockspring is the culprit. Just a random thing. Will be having the codes pulled on Friday, but just wanted to see what some of you thought.

Update: Went to get a bite to eat for lunch and it seems to be related to the steering column/shifter (maybe?). Seems that shifting into reverse/drive/park would determine if the light would come on or go off. Once again, turning the steering wheel does not effect it.

Update: Left work for the day and light came on after getting off the interstate. The first traffic light I came to I put in park and airbag light immediately goes off. Stays off all the way home.

Last edited by Wareever; 08-06-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Somewhere I read that this often happens after idler arm or Pittman arm is replaced. Seems one of the airbag wires gets pinched during the r&r resulting in a bad connection. Happened to me after suspension work. If I hit a bump airbag light goes on or off. Never did find the wire connection in question. I was afraid of setting off the airbag if I poked around too much.

Anyone else hear of this or know where to look?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Had it scanned and no codes. The only suspension items I put on are sway arm bushings and new shocks. Looked under and around the steering column last night. Wonder if I need to inspect the clockspring anyway. Seems maybe a bad ground somewhere.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Air bag module needs to be checked with a capable scan tool, (not an entry level scan tool). The ones at the auto parts stores can not access the module to retrieve DTC's. If the light has been coming on, there is a DTC in memory.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

mine goes off and on also on longer trips
Usually when towing ????

I suspect mine (05) has something to do with drivers seat
I had stopped for fuel , light was off and I had left the truck running because it was really hot out . When I got in to leave the light was on
At one point I tried tracking it down and I think I found something in the wiring diagrams that led me to believe there is a sensor in the seat
I havent been able to find a suitable seat replacement to investigate further

Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Air bag module needs to be checked with a capable scan tool, (not an entry level scan tool). The ones at the auto parts stores can not access the module to retrieve DTC's. If the light has been coming on, there is a DTC in memory.
The scanner used was an OTC Pegisys Limited Edition and it did not show any codes. It is an intermittent issue as if there is a short or bad ground somewhere. Checked the driver's seat, front sensors, etc. Is there more wiring involved in the passenger seat besides the seat belt pretensioner? I didn't see any wiring underneath as with the driver's seat.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Funny thing... Airbag light is on as I'm driving down the road and I beeped the horn at my son who was at a neighbors. Light goes out... Later during the day if the light came on I'd beep the horn and it would go out! Guess I solved my problem. Will need to take the airbag off and check the connections.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Replaced the clockspring. Still doing the same thing. Move column shifter through gears, then back to park and light goes out. Feedback would be appreciated greatly.... Thanks.

Last edited by Wareever; 09-21-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding question...
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Starting Member
blaz is on a distinguished road

I had to replace my clockspring too. I caused my clock spring to fail by disconnecting the steering shaft and turning the wheel. (oops) When I had it scanned it came up as a clockspring failure. I don't remember the exact wording but it was clearly the clockspring. If the airbag light is on then there must be a code. Try and scan it when the light is on.

There are connections behind the front bumper, connections at the clockspring....etc.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Has anyone else gone through this? Code I'm getting is a B0036 (ADS Open/Missing/Shorted to Battery). Airbag light on when interior is hot, but not on when its cool out. Horn activation and door lock activation may both make light go out. Thought it was the column shifter, but when going into park it activates the door locks. Checked and cleaned connections at sensors, don't see any immediate wiring issues in their vicinity. Replaced both clockspring and driver's side airbag thinking they were related. This light is driving me nuts! (No black tape comments please...)

Quick Reply: Intermittent Airbag Light