2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent Electrical (?) problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
MontegoRX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intermittent Electrical (?) problem

Well this is my first post on the forum, but I searched around a bit and haven't found a problem QUITE like the one I'm having.

I have a 2001 Blazer LT 4x4. Only thing I've changed on it is the stereo and added a subwoofer. The subwoofer power cable is fused, and the fuseholder is NOT shorting (I suspected it was earlier, but have confirmed it's sealed).

The problem I've had on/off lately is that when I get in the vehicle and turn the key to the ON position, all is well. When I try to crank the engine, I get nothing, and all electricity to the vehicles is gone (no windows, electric locks, starter, headlights, etc). If I sit it out for what seems to be about 1 minute, the poewr will normally come back, and then it's a crapshoot as to if the car will start or not when I try the next time.

Also, I finally got the thing to start earlier today, and it didn't want to hold an idle. I held my foot on the gas, and the Voltage was good at approx 1500rpm, so I don't think it's an alternator issue. Also, the alternator wouldn't kill all vehicle power, restore it, and then go back to making good voltage, am i right?

I've checked all of the fuses, and none are blown. I played with the relays a little, and thought that cured the problem, but it must've just been the timing, because I'm still having the problem(s). Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have ideas on what I could look at before I put a steel-toed boot through the door? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Intermittent Electrical (?) problem

Ok this may or may not be the issue but I got a ignition switch trouble where I will have to open and close the key switch for it to start. Sometimes when Iopen key and don't see nothing on the dash then the car starts. DOes this happen with yours? Well if so when turning on your car make sure you see the cluster in the dash light up.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:11 PM

Every time I turn the key to ON, I get the lights. It just dies as soon as I crank it over. The starter doesn't even get a chance to spin.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure that you have good connections at the battery?? check for corrosion on terminals and check to make sure they are tight

Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be VERY careful with the battery. The positive terminals on the newer AC Delco batteries has a HORRIBLE tendancy to corrode inside the battery itself. I had this EXACT same problem on mine. When I tried to clean the battery terminals, the ENTIRE positive lug came out of the battery and acid got all over the place. Mine was the same way. One day I'd come out, everything would work, but it wouldn't start. I'd say screw it and jump in my Bonneville and go. Come back from running errands, and it would start like nothing was wrong.

Try to pull off the terminals, but you might just want to be at a parts store when you try this if you don't have another vehicle. While there, have them test the battery. If the terminals come off clean, throw some dielectric grease on the retention bolts and connection pads and put it back together. If that is the problem, the lug will either come off when pulling it apart or when tightening it back down.

Ofcourse, I don't know if this applies to other batteries besides the AC Delco, but it may.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 AM

I actually replaced the battery about a year ago. I bought a near top of the line (ie still cheap) battery from AutoZone. Maybe I'll head there after work and see if they can test it for me.

Also, the other car thing.... I've been driving my Rx7 (better mileage, more fun, and less hassles than this GM heap) daily, but i currently have the engine on it ripped apart to do some preventative maintenance for the winter. Wifey's got a Mazda6, but I'd feel bad stealing her car and sticking her with a Blazer that may or may not run.

The terminals on the battery are nice and tight, so I guess the next step will be pulling the battery and find out if I need a new one.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the battery has been replaced recently, it could be a cracked plate in the battery, but more likely the ignition switch as Ivannj suggested. Next time it happens, just try cycling the key on and off until it starts.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Well the thing drove fine all day today. I went to start it after work, and had the same issue with all electricity dying. I tightened up the pos/neg terminals to make sure they're getting a good connection. Both were already fairly tight, and most likely over tightened now. After that, the car started, but it still died when I came to a stop. I put it in park, shut down, restarted, and it ran like a champ. Yet another reason to dump the piece and get a real truck.... an import truck. It's sad when I can't even count on americans to make what they used to dominate.....

Old 02-15-2006, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

IGNITION KEY or CORROSION on the starter?????
It is a common problem, running away isn't going to get that foriegn crap fixed either. Plus that foreign crap costs more to fix, if you can find a shop to do it, and if it can be fixed. Most of that foreign crap cannot be fixed. They are cheap for a reason, they are disposable.

Before replacing the ignition key, crawl your butt under the truck and take out your starter, at least disconnect all the electrical wires. Clean the connections, the cables, and put it back together. Make sure you disconnect both cables on the battery first. There is no fuse between the battery and the starter, and if you short out that starter wire you will do some damage. There is enough juice there to weld with.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

IGNITION KEY or CORROSION on the starter?????
It is a common problem, running away isn't going to get that foriegn crap fixed either. Plus that foreign crap costs more to fix, if you can find a shop to do it, and if it can be fixed. Most of that foreign crap cannot be fixed. They are cheap for a reason, they are disposable.

Before replacing the ignition key, crawl your butt under the truck and take out your starter, at least disconnect all the electrical wires. Clean the connections, the cables, and put it back together. Make sure you disconnect both cables on the battery first. There is no fuse between the battery and the starter, and if you short out that starter wire you will do some damage. There is enough juice there to weld with.
Actually I've heard the argument alot that "foriegn (sic) crap costs more to fix", yet I haven't really found that true. I've owned two american cars, and both have not only had comparably the same costs for replacement parts, but the Ford and GM seemed to have alot more problems, even though they've averaged 10 yrs newer than my import cars. I have an Rx7 craving, and the Rx7 is notoriously bashed for being unreliable and expensive to fix. I've had quite a few issues with them, but nothing that 2 hrs of wrenching wouldn't fix. This Blazer has multiple issues that I'm not even willing to touch (ABS pump bad, interior pieces snapping apart, etc) and it's only 5 yrs old.

The "crawl your butt under the truck" issue is a no-brainer. I don't much like the vehicle anyways, and it has too many problems for me to worry about fixing, so i'd consider it "disposable" at this point. Face it, the vehicle is nearly worthless, I don't owe much of anything on it, so why not just throw it against the curb with the likes of leftover beef and the bag of dog **** that the animals left while I was at work? Is it really worth wrenching on a cheap vehicle that I don't want?

Also, as far as it being a starter issue.... would that cause all of the electricity to the vehicle to shut off? I think the issue is relatively close to the battery, and I've ruled out the idea of the ignition relay, etc because I don't believe (I might be WAY wrong) that the relays, starter connections, etc would affect the power to the entire vehicle. Am I wrong on that, hopefully? If I have a real reason to believe that bad start connections would kill the entire vehicle, and then the vehicle regains all power, than I'll check it out.... but really.... have you read anything else in the post, or did you just wanna tell me about 'foriegn crap" and to "crawl your butt" around? I'm starting to think you'd rather see the hanes than help someone out.