2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just bought a used blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member
metallica5456 is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought a used blazer

Hi guys just wanting some insight. I just bought a 1995 Blazer with about 171k on it...seems in great shape considering age. I just wanted to know a little more about these trucks...like what should I keep an eye on? Anything major that goes bad? Any leaks that are persistent?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:41 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Front end parts are known to wear out on them, control arm bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, sway bar links, etc. They may have already been replaced at that mileage, all pretty simple, inexpensive fixes if they need to be done

. Other than that Just do the regular maintenance some people forget, tranny oil filter, new gear lube in the diffs, plugs and wires. Preventive maintenance makes a ton of difference to a long lasting vehicle

Old 02-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member

OK that's what I thought. Any thought as to why both my rear speakers are dead when I fade them in as primary from the receiver? Fronts work great but when fade to rear all's dead.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 PM

All my blazers have had speakers stop working, usually they blow out and get crackly sounding, and eventually stop working. Odds are the rear speakers are both blown. Could possibly be an issue with wiring or the head unit, but I would definitely start with new speakers

Old 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

Well I paid $600 for it with 171k. Seem like a good price? Or I get screwed? I thought $600 was good for a running 4WD. What kind of spears should I get? Just something cheap and basic? Or I can go aftermarket? Any way to test the current ones in there somehow? Or test the wiring going to them?

thanks for all the help buddy!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Definitely a good deal on it! You're better off going aftermarket. Sony or pioneer or Kenwood are decent and affordable.

Not really sure how to test them other than maybe unhooking a rear one and hooking it up to the wiring for a front that you know works.

Wire testing you'd need to use a multimeter and ohm from the speaker end of the wire to the head unit end, should ohm out to 0(no resistance)

No problem, hope you can get it all figured out! They're good lil trucks when well taken care of.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chevyriders
Definitely a good deal on it! You're better off going aftermarket. Sony or pioneer or Kenwood are decent and affordable.

Not really sure how to test them other than maybe unhooking a rear one and hooking it up to the wiring for a front that you know works.

Wire testing you'd need to use a multimeter and ohm from the speaker end of the wire to the head unit end, should ohm out to 0(no resistance)

No problem, hope you can get it all figured out! They're good lil trucks when well taken care of.
Thanks

Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Beginning Member
Default More advice

So just did the following:

New Plugs (double platinum)
New Wireset
New SHocks all around
Oil Change
Also Had to replace passenger mirror cause was broken when bought it

So Now have another issue...the inside dome light STAYS LIT for some reason and killed my damn battery. BRAND NEW too from autozone. So had to pull the fuse out to cut out the light...Any ideas?

What could have caused this? We didn't mess with the electrical system...??

Old 02-19-2017, 10:26 PM
broark2017 is on a distinguished road

Check your door switches .. unplug one at a time and see if it goes off .

Old 02-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Beginning Member
Default "door switvhe

Originally Posted by broark2017
Check your door switches .. unplug one at a time and see if it goes off .
door switches? Sorry I'm not to car savvy. Where would this be?

Quick Reply: Just bought a used blazer