2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Key stuck in accessory position intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned
stevehendo34 is on a distinguished road
Default Key stuck in accessory position intermittent

Sometimes it dose this sometimes not.
It goes to the start position just fine just wont back out to be removed.

Is there something electrical that keeps one from removing the key when the engine is not in park?
It odd because if it did not think it was in park the key would also not go to the start position--I think?

Do you think it is just the tumblers in the switch.

Any ideas?

Last edited by stevehendo34; 02-13-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Check out Kyles https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/
& look into a wire off on the trans. I know mine won't shut off out of park.

Intermittent screams wiring IMO.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you working on? That info is needed to properly help as well as to move your thread into the appropriate area.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

99 Jimmy same as blaser.
Ignition key stuck in Accesory and Stast position will not go to spot for removal

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Banned

Thanks it also has a link to a good thread on how to change the switch, which is very helpfully to me. The book says to take the steering wheel off and this one dose not glad I read it.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-26553/

Last edited by stevehendo34; 02-14-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Here's a quick google search of our site for "cannot remove key" that might give some fixes or troubleshooting steps.

Do you have a floor shifter?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

Yes it is a floor shifter

I thinks it knows is park because I the checked park neutral switch continuity

I think it must be that crazy backside ignition switch thing that sends power to a million places must be screwed up. What I need to know is if this physically is the thing that keeps the key from going to the lock position unless it is in park. My assumption is getting to be that the park neutral switch feeds this somehow and it allows the key to move? Stuff I have read on this form has helped immensely when it comes to me thinking this, but I am not sure I am right. Feel free to comment on my hypothesis.

Note:
You would not want to be able to remove the key if you were driving down the road--the steering wheel would lock up so something has to keep it from returning to the lock position.

I searched on those exact terms lots of chater no direct solutions at least none I can discern.

I really appreciate all the help I have received on this forum so far in helping me with several problems, not just with the key, on my 99 Jimmy I just bought. It needs a lot of work even though it looks and drives fine. This forum compliments my Chilton manual immensely.