2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

LED turn signals = a few issues (not hyperflash)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 PM
cccfabioccc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
The dimly lit turn signal indicators, just like yourself.

These switchbacks are what I ended up with after my first set were crap... The first different set would keep flickering off when the running lights were on... These ones worked great though, and are BRIGHT. Looked great through clear lenses.

Of course my cheap clean lens lights didn't last long before the lens separated, so stockers went back on for now with regular bulbs :P but that'll be changed back soon.
Ahh yeah lol, I was just looking at those too. I have bought something similar before for my GTO and I had the same issue it fell apart. That's why I ordered the smd only one this time around. That hasn't worked out all that well either. I normally have pretty good luck with eBay LEDS but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:49 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cccfabioccc
Ahh yeah lol, I was just looking at those too. I have bought something similar before for my GTO and I had the same issue it fell apart. That's why I ordered the smd only one this time around. That hasn't worked out all that well either. I normally have pretty good luck with eBay LEDS but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong.
oh the LED's didn't fall apart, the light housings themselves did lol the clear lens just started separating from the back of the housing

I actually carried the switchback LED's over to my Corolla from the Blazer when I put the stock lights back on the Blazer. They still work great to this day, almost 3 years later

Name:  20160429_195705.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  3.59 MB

Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Well the seller replied. They are saying they may have had a production issue and are checking with the manufacturer, refund/replacement pending.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

The pure SMD type LED replacement bulbs are all I use to get as well, but it's also worth considering there are different types of SMD LED's, and that's what lead me to try out the ones I posted above.

For tail lights, I searched for years for a direct drop in LED replacement that had good light output, and kept running into the same problem, that is that the brightness was hardly different from running lights to brake lights, making it not very safe...

My solution for those came in the shape of Osram Joule LED modules from newer Ford Mustangs, Chevy Impala LTZ's, and Mercury Mariners. I have a thread here on how I did the conversion if you're interested

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...etrofit-90983/

Old 01-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
The pure SMD type LED replacement bulbs are all I use to get as well, but it's also worth considering there are different types of SMD LED's, and that's what lead me to try out the ones I posted above.

For tail lights, I searched for years for a direct drop in LED replacement that had good light output, and kept running into the same problem, that is that the brightness was hardly different from running lights to brake lights, making it not very safe...

My solution for those came in the shape of Osram Joule LED modules from newer Ford Mustangs, Chevy Impala LTZ's, and Mercury Mariners. I have a thread here on how I did the conversion if you're interested

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...etrofit-90983/
Led tech improves almost daily. Now with the 5050 smd as far as 3157 bulbs you need about 5-8 5050 smd to equal the same lumen output as its incandescent counterpart. Only a few people are making 3157 with 5050 smd all in China of course. The ones i got arr 5730 smd which is even brighter than thr 5050. Basically its a huge research project (as you know) each time find an led replacement priced where you want figure out what type of LED they are made of find the light output in lumen per smd find incandescent lumen rating compare. I ordered another set of switchbacks this a.m.
2 X Dual Color 3157 High Power Yellow White 5730 20 LED Switchback Light Bulbs | eBay
They are basically the same as the ones with projectors but I only like to use projector style LED'S in fog light or reverse light applications. worst case I will use them if there is a reflector to break up the foward facing light angle which there isnt in these blazer housing. So I will give these ones a try since I forsee a refund in the near future on the original bulbs I got.

Also I found a wiring diagram for the lights I might as well leave it here. It was very helpful in determining the lights as being the issue

Attached Thumbnails LED turn signals = a few issues (not hyperflash)-exterior-lamp-circuit-diagram-1998-chevrolet-blazer.jpg  

Last edited by cccfabioccc; 01-03-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:39 PM

And the results are in, the switchback was the issue. New one works fine and looks great. Thanks everyone!