2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What can/should I ask for in a new PCM flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
braxx is on a distinguished road
Default What can/should I ask for in a new PCM flash

I just bought a 2001 Blazer 2WD w/Auto trans. It has passlock error codes, SES AIR injection codes and ABS/Brake lights on. I know the ABS/Brake light is at minimum bad solder joints on the module.
I am sending out a PCM in the morning to get flashed for fuel economy by W4ME.
I want the PCM flash to remove Passlock, SMOG, AIR injection, EGR, EVAP and rear O2.
Does anyone know if the ABS and Brake lights being on can be turned off in the PCM tune? I assume not due to them having there own module but maybe the ABS module sends a signal to the PCM which then turns the lights on in the dash.

So My questions are:
Can the ABS/Brake light be eliminated by a PCM tune?
What else should I ask to have changed in the PCM tune for reliability (Fuel economy will be the base for the tune) other than remove Passlock, SMOG, AIR injection, EGR, EVAP and rear O2?
Are quicker trans shifts, higher line pressure and Torque management reduction that important?
Can a electric cooling fan output be enabled in my 0411 PCM?
If so, is there a general consensus of what the ON and OFF temp should be?
Thanks,
Josh

Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Seems the questions should be directed towards W4ME than to this forum.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

do you ever want to pass an inspection again

Old 03-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Seems the questions should be directed towards W4ME than to this forum.
Well I was hoping to get answers from people that have had what I'm asking for done to there own pcm. A tuner can tell you that they can do something but I want to hear from people that have had it done. Ie: tuner says he can disable the smog stuff but if members here say they've had I'd done and it didn't work out then I would 2nd guess having it done.
Basically I want opinions from people that have had the stuff done that I'm looking to have done.

Originally Posted by newguy
do you ever want to pass an inspection again
Nope, we don't have any inspections here in Michigan.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking about a hypothetical off-road rig that gets trailered from location to location and does not necessarily have to comply with local state and federal regulations, you can have certain codes disabled which will keep the CEL off if you choose to disable a particular system. This would go for the EGR, AIR, EVAP, and catalyst monitoring systems.

If an inspection was necessary, most inspection stations typically plug into the OBD port and check for stored trouble codes. Since the codes will be disabled, they will not be able to be set as active, therefore would not be a problem at this particular type of inspection level. Disabling these systems once the codes are disabled is pretty straight forward, but most typical methods would be picked up by a visual inspection. No inspection, no problem. Still, defeating emissions and/or certain safety systems deemed required by the federal government is against the law and is punishable by rather hefty fines if caught. You have to weigh the risks with the rewards and determine if it is worth it to you.

On the passlock side of things, I do not think there are actual codes for the passlock system; rather the PCM monitors the sensor for the proper response when a key is inserted and disables the injectors until it sees the proper response. It is likely that a competent tuner could bypass the passlock sensor altogether, but I doubt that it is something they routinely do. You would definitely have to run this by them.

Concerning the fan output, I would think this is a possibility, but again, the tuner you choose should be able to answer this along with what appropriate on/off temps would be. They will have the information from various tunes available to them that they can compare and answer that question.

Most of these questions can be answered in greater detail by the tuner of your choice. I have used PCM4Less in the past on my old '04 Rainier with good results. I have not attempted to disable any codes though. I have done a lot of research since getting my old '04 Tahoe and even more since trading that on my '09 Yukon Denali. I will be pulling the trigger on a tune from Black Bear Performance which will be included with a seat of EFI Live & the flashscan hardware. BBP definitely seems to be into more custom tailored tunes than PCM4Less and BBP has been great at answering any questions that I have had in the past. Any tuner will be happy to answer your questions exactly as you have laid them out in your original post. If they can't answer the questions, you do not want them to tune your PCM.

If/When you do pull the trigger on your hypothetical off-road rig and get a tune; disabling the systems of your choice, please do report back in on the results periodically so others might learn from your experience.

Since we are speaking hypothetically, lets say you disable everything you have listed, including the ABS. Now lets say you rear end someone and cause some major injuries to yourself and/or the other occupants in either vehicle. You could be on the hook for a lawsuit if the insurance company found that the ABS system was disabled/circumvented willfully and that if said system was operational the crash could have been less substantial or completely avoidable. This is the only real caution I would put out there on the systems you have mentioned.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Speaking about a hypothetical off-road rig that gets trailered from location to location and does not necessarily have to comply with local state and federal regulations, you can have certain codes disabled which will keep the CEL off if you choose to disable a particular system. This would go for the EGR, AIR, EVAP, and catalyst monitoring systems.

If an inspection was necessary, most inspection stations typically plug into the OBD port and check for stored trouble codes. Since the codes will be disabled, they will not be able to be set as active, therefore would not be a problem at this particular type of inspection level. Disabling these systems once the codes are disabled is pretty straight forward, but most typical methods would be picked up by a visual inspection. No inspection, no problem. Still, defeating emissions and/or certain safety systems deemed required by the federal government is against the law and is punishable by rather hefty fines if caught. You have to weigh the risks with the rewards and determine if it is worth it to you.

On the passlock side of things, I do not think there are actual codes for the passlock system; rather the PCM monitors the sensor for the proper response when a key is inserted and disables the injectors until it sees the proper response. It is likely that a competent tuner could bypass the passlock sensor altogether, but I doubt that it is something they routinely do. You would definitely have to run this by them.

Concerning the fan output, I would think this is a possibility, but again, the tuner you choose should be able to answer this along with what appropriate on/off temps would be. They will have the information from various tunes available to them that they can compare and answer that question.

Most of these questions can be answered in greater detail by the tuner of your choice. I have used PCM4Less in the past on my old '04 Rainier with good results. I have not attempted to disable any codes though. I have done a lot of research since getting my old '04 Tahoe and even more since trading that on my '09 Yukon Denali. I will be pulling the trigger on a tune from Black Bear Performance which will be included with a seat of EFI Live & the flashscan hardware. BBP definitely seems to be into more custom tailored tunes than PCM4Less and BBP has been great at answering any questions that I have had in the past. Any tuner will be happy to answer your questions exactly as you have laid them out in your original post. If they can't answer the questions, you do not want them to tune your PCM.

If/When you do pull the trigger on your hypothetical off-road rig and get a tune; disabling the systems of your choice, please do report back in on the results periodically so others might learn from your experience.

Since we are speaking hypothetically, lets say you disable everything you have listed, including the ABS. Now lets say you rear end someone and cause some major injuries to yourself and/or the other occupants in either vehicle. You could be on the hook for a lawsuit if the insurance company found that the ABS system was disabled/circumvented willfully and that if said system was operational the crash could have been less substantial or completely avoidable. This is the only real caution I would put out there on the systems you have mentioned.
Edit: Thank you for taking the time to actually respond to my post/questions.
Posting from my phone so I have to keep it short. Here in Michigan we don't have to maintain a specific level of repair on our vehicles . I can guarantee many of the vehicles on our roads here do not have functioning abs. We are not required to maintain or repair an ABS system at a functional state on our vehicles. I see many posts on the forum about people that have failed ABS modules and a decent percentage of the time people just put a piece of tape over the light. Additionally we are not required to repair components on the vehicle that set a service engine soon light. For instance if I had a bad egr valve and took the vehicle to the dealership and they told me I had a bad egr valve I am not required by any Michigan law to repair that egr valve so there really is no difference on whether or not I drive around with a bad egr or if I eliminate the egr valve.

Last edited by braxx; 03-09-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

There really is a difference if your egr is bad, there`s a difference if your o2 sensor is bad, there`s some sort of drivability if almost any of the sensors are bad. But a poorly running vehicle is up to you

Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
There really is a difference if your egr is bad, there`s a difference if your o2 sensor is bad, there`s some sort of drivability if almost any of the sensors are bad. But a poorly running vehicle is up to you
A vehicle doesn't need an egr or rear o2 to run properly if the pcm is tuned for it.

Last edited by braxx; 03-09-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Pretty sure it is against federal law to disable smog equipment in any state. EGR is engines method to effectly lower compression at part throttle. This allows better fuel efficiency at cruise speeds and a snappier mid and full throttle response. It also allows the motor to use lower octane and/or higher compression.
To answer your question speedo calibration and getting fuel trims closer to normal would mandatory.