2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bearing/Wheel Hub Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bearing/Wheel Hub Noise?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4x4, and around 20-30mph, under (extremely) light throttle, I get an intense whirring noise from the right rear tire. If I give it a little more gas, the volume lowers, but it's still there.

Around 35mph, it's constant. If I'm completely off the gas, I get the same sound just softer.

What's bad? My wheel bearing? Hub? Talked to dad, and he mentioned it could be a bearing but whether it was inner or outer bearing he couldn't say.

Like to consider myself Blazer savvy (brother and mom have one too) but I definitely need some help. It's driving me nuts.

Thanks you!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. They are fairly cheap in terms of parts, but you do have to pull the rear diff cover to be able to get the c-clip out and remove the axle.

You may want to check the u-joints as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 AM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response! I'm going to talk to my shop guy and see if he can swap a new one in. Part is around $30, any idea how much labor would be?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't take too long. Depends on how familiar the mechanic is with GM axles and if he has the proper tools to remove the old bearing from the axle tube.