2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear view mirror fell off, now car wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
LVUSC14 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear view mirror fell off, now car wont start?

Hey, y'all! Y'all diagnosed my last problem spot on, so I'm hoping y'all can do it again!

I have a 98 Blazer, I got in my car this afternoon to find my rear view mirror hanging from the wires connecting it to the roof, it had just been sitting in front of my house all day and nothing has happened that would cause it to fall off except maybe excessive heat (it's been in the mid 90s a lot lately).

So I drive down to NAPA to get the mirror adhesive and seeing as how it's in the mid 90s, I had my battery running to play the radio and to keep the air on while I tried to re-adhere the mirror. Suddenly my radio stops playing and the lights all go dim, and then completely shut off. I turn my car off and then try to start it again and nothing happens. Then at the same time, the tape deck ejected my iPod adapter and my electric seat moved back on it's own, and I can't get anything to happen now.

Any ideas? Are the two incidents related or am I just having a terrible day?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well i would say you may have a weak battery or alternator.
most likely you killed it...i am guessing you had the engine off but accessories running?

thats my first thought.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM

yes, the engine was off. but I only had it running for not even 10 minutes, I've sat in the car without the engine running for much longer than that and never had an issue. you don't think it has anything to do with the wires that are attached to the mirror that fell off? I'm hoping it's just a battery thing, but these kind of things don't happen as coincidences for me ever

Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i doubt the mirror had anything to do with it....mirror only has power to auto dim the reflection for night driving.

have you tried jumping the battery?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 PM

not yet, I'm up at school for summer semesters and none of my roommates are here, so my dad is coming up in the morning to take me to campus and then look at my car, so we will probably try jumping it before anything else, but I figured if y'all had any ideas I could send his way I could let him know to help speed up the process so there wouldn't be so much trial and error

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran

well...if he jumps it and she fires up, i would get your battery and alternator tested asap.