2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mass Air Flow Sensor

I have heard of people cleaning your mass air flow sensor and even taking the screen out, and it helps milage and overall power. Anyone tried this, I also heard it makes a trouble code too, any suggestions or ideas on this? thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Cleaning a dirty MAF sensor will definitely help. Removing the screen to gain performance is snake oil in my opinion. The screen does not restrict the flow like what many people would think. The function of the screen is to ensure smooth laminar airflow over the MAF elements. If the flow is not consistent across the throat of the MAF sensor, the PCM could get bad data resulting in poor performance.

While the engines are different, I have witnessed drag race tests on a Grand Prix GTP with the screen and without the screen. There was no difference in performance with and without the screen, however, the scanned and recorded MAF frequencies were all over the place without the screen in place comparing 4 consecutive runs with the screen and without the screen.

If it weren't necessary, I highly doubt that it would be there.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I cleaned my MAF and EGR yesterday. Easy job, not much time,and noticed a nice improvement in idle smoothnessand throttle response.
I took pictures and plan to put together a step by step "how-to" for both in the next couple weeks because there's a lot of good information I foundhere, but I had to go through several different threads to get all of the advice together.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious on what you clean your MAF sensor with, it looks pretty easy to get to it, and just curious what to clean it with. Thanks for your informatin thou.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Either electronics cleaner or MAF specific cleaner.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dumb question...............Where is the MAF located at?? I know where the EGR is, but not the MAF....
thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Intake pipe between the air filter housing and the throttle body. It will have two aluminum peices on either side of the sensor itself. It looks like this when disassembled for cleaning:

Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
gmc847 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does a 1995 have a Mass Air Flow sensor like this one? I can't find anything like that anywhere. There is a small sensor in the flexible hose between the air filter and the throttle plate but it looks nothing like this.

Forgot to mention it's a 4.3.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gmc847; 08-09-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

The older CPI engines used up to 1995 do not have a MAF sensor.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
gmc847 is an unknown quantity at this point

Copy. Thank you.