2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Metallic Popping/banging noise in front end (drivetrain)

Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road
Default Metallic Popping/banging noise in front end (drivetrain)

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts. I generally do a ton of reading on these forums, get great ideas and solve my problems, but this time Im stumped and need some help.

So my 2000 4x4 blazer makes a terrible banging/clanging noise, a little louder when turning left. (Three years ago I replaced both hub bearings) Now I'm thing CV shafts. I jacked the car up about two weeks ago, saw that the passenger side CV boot was split closest to the Wheel side (the driver side looked OK). While jacked up, I rotated the passenger wheel and sure enough there was some banging/clanging, while on the driver side there was not. I thought I figured out the problem. Fast forward to today, I replaced the Passenger side CV joint, the old one was definitely shot, reassemble it all, rotate the wheel, and all sounds good while in the air!. Took it for a drive, and nothings changed, still horrible loud banging/clang.

The 4-wheel drive does engage and disengage like normal, and it does not change the bang/clang sound in either drive position (3 button switch on dash), but really, I am stumped. The noise sounds like its coming from the front, middle of the car (transfer case maybe, or the extension tube that goes from the transfer case to the passenger cv?) Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road

Still need help with the problem. Here's some more information:

When turning (either direction), the banging sound is much worse and frequent. On straightaways, there's a definitive loud growl with only the occasional banging.

Any suggestions?