2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

More fuel problems 2002 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Starting Member
Compucents is on a distinguished road
Default More fuel problems 2002 4WD

I have a 2002 4WD 4 door Blazer 83,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago the computer threw a Lean Bank 2 code, but I wasn't sure what I could do for it. Two days ago I returned from a 50 mile highway trip and it wouldn't start after sitting for 30 minutes. I released the fuel pressure from the test port valve and let it sit. It started up after that. It has been running well for a couple of days until today. I went a short distance and after getting home and letting it sit it won't start.

I poured a little fuel in the TBI and it runs for a couple of seconds until the fuel burns off. I'm not getting any pressure at the test valve now. I don't have a pressure guage but there is no fuel spraying out when I push on the schrader valve release. I swapped out the relay with the horn and no go. I can't hear the fuel pump come on with the key, but I don't think I ever could hear it?

I would like to check the voltage to the pump and clean up the ground before I change out the fuel pump. Where can I find the power and ground connections to the fuel pump? Do I have to drop the tank to get at the power connector?

Also do these models have a plastic tank? I have a plastic surface strapped to the frame but I'm not sure if this is a cover or the actual tank. If I bang on this plastic with a rubber mallet, and it starts working does it pretty much prove out a faulty pump?

Thanks for any help

Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Beginning Member
A/M/G is on a distinguished road

I just cleaned my ground yesterday. It is located on the cross member between the back wheels, right behind the tank. It is not very easy to get to. My ground did not look that good, I cleaned it, but still did not fix the problem.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
CaptnTony is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got the same starting issue and purchased a Pressure tester this afternoon. I'm not mechanical, just trying to learn. Where do I connect it (Schrader Valve) to test for fuel pressure? Does anyone happen to have pictures for a 2002 Blazer LS 4dr 4wd?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:09 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it sure sounds like the pump is on it' way out Compucents. if you banged on the tank and it started, then i'd be changing the pump before it leaves you stranded some where.

and don't go with an aftermarket pump-'cause you'll regret it in a short time. use the Delco assembly. i know it's more money, but when the crapy aftermarket one craps out in a year (or less!) and you have to pay for it to be replaced again.........well there goes the savings on a cheaper pump.

as for the fuel pressure gauge, it attaches on the fuel line before the throttle body.

@ CaptnTony; have you even popped your hood to look for the valve? it has a large black plastic cap on it. kinda looks like an oversized tire valve cap.