2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MOTOR MOUNT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
hairybear44820 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOTOR MOUNT?

97 Blazer 4-dr. drivers side motor mount needs replaced. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it may be a all day job as the complete front end -axle,transfercase ect., needs removed just to get acces to that one mount$$$$$$$, CRAP$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Is this true? or am I getting a axle up my rear??Any directions that I can do it my self? i am handy with tools. thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MOTOR MOUNT?

Pull the front axle, that's a new one... My references detail it as lifting the engine, unbolting the mount and replacing it. Now that is very simplistic, but definitely does not require removal of the front axle!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Can I lift engine with a jack under it with a 2 X 4 or rent a engine lift to be safe?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:22 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

It's been a few years since I've replaced one. I believe I used a jack and a block of wood to raise the engine, then put a block of wood ( somewhere between the frame and the exhaust manifold ), as a wedge, to hold the engine up. Removed the motor mount bolt and nut, then removed the old mount, installed the new one and set the engine down. If I recall it was about a 3 hour job because the bolts in the upper mount ( to the block) are tight to get at. I may have used a swivwl socket.
Like I say, it's been a while since I've done the job.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 AM

I am retired and really dont have extra money to buy that alldata thing so could any of you folks put the instructions up on here for me? This ole vet would really thank you all for it!and God bless our troops!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are lifting 'lugs' on the sides of the block that are supposed to be used to lift just that side of the engine, but with the front axle and oil cooler lines, etc in the way, your best bet is with the block of wood under the oil pan.

The instructions for changing out the driver's side motor mount are pretty much as vague as I posted above. Awfully simplistic, but I'll reiterate them here. Take the pressure off of the motor mount cross bolt with a jack. Remove the cross bolt and lift the engine to gain access to the bolts on both halves of the mount. Remove the mount from the engine, then the mount from the frame. Reassemble reverse of disassembly.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 AM

I dont have any deep well metric sockets or metric open end long wrenches but if you say i will need them i will buy them,,i'd ratherbuy myself tools than give my money to some guy who wants to take advantage of people, and thank you for your expert advice!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

Typically I can follow directions pretty well - but for how simple the instructions are to change the motor mounts it makes me feel stupid. I am trying to change the drivers side motor mount on a 98 4x4 and am having tons of problems. First off, I can only see 1 of the 3 that hold the mount to the motor. I have the cross bolt out and could get that 1 bolt out with some work. But what about the other 2? Specifically the 3rd bolt that is by itself in the middle? (lowest bolt, not paired like the upper two) I don't think I own enough swivels to get to it without removing something serious... anybody that has done this care to offer up some pointers? A few more bolts and I think I can just take out the whole motor, haha!