2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

mulitfuction switch

Old 07-30-2006, 02:41 PM
jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mulitfuction switch

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer LT and this past week the hazard light button broke. I removed the upper and lower steering column shroud and the 2 bolts that hold the switch assembly (multifunction switch) to the steering column. The problem I have is I can't and don't know how to disconnect the the mulitfuction switch from the bulkhead connector. I've tried for several hours to figure it out and have failed....Any suggestions on what I have to do to unplug the multifuction switch would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:45 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: mulitfuction switch

There is a 7mm bolt right in the center of the large connector unscrew it and pull it apart. BUT if just your hazard switch broke you can get the hazard switch seperately from a dealer very cheap.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:51 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

It is so much easier to put a new hazard switch if thats all you need.
I got my hazard switch from the dealer for $20 not the $200 zone wanted for the turn signal switch. heres a link to my replacement

Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM

thanks i found the screw and got the bulk head connector apart...i guess great care will have to be taken when putting it back together not to bend any of the terminal prongs....but i do have another question as to the third connection socket with the multyifuction switch. does that connection just pull apart or is there a screw holding that one together also?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM

thanks i found the screw and got the bulk head connector apart...i guess great care will have to be taken when putting it back together not to bend any of the terminal prongs....but i do have another question as to the third connection socket with the multyifuction switch. does that connection just pull apart or is there a screw holding that one together also?

sorry for so many posts but i'm a new member and just learning how the forum works here, i hope you excuse me this time

Old 07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack do you have Alshiemer's? Just kidding and no Offense intended. None of the other connectors have bolts in them but they all have little locks to keep them tight. Why don't you replace JUST the hazard switch?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the middle of this right now. The last time my Blazer died out on the road before I found out was was wrong with it, I put the hazard flashers on and the **** came off in my hand, and they would not shut off.

I previously found your pictorial, blazin97, and it was very helpful. Thanks. But as I was hunched over the steering wheel, as I started to slide the hazard flasher unit out, the horn came on full blast and scared the bajeebus out of me and I almost hit my head on the roof. I had to put the unit back in to get the horn to stop. So, I have to get the new unit from the dealer, and locate the horn relay before I can work on it again.

Also, I removed the flasher can from under the dash to get the hazard flashers to quit, but it also killed my stop lights. Is there any way to disable the hazard flashers without losing the brake lights ?

Are we having fun yet ?

Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Whittaker
I previously found your pictorial, blazin97, and it was very helpful. Thanks. But as I was hunched over the steering wheel, as I started to slide the hazard flasher unit out, the horn came on full blast and scared the bajeebus out of me and I almost hit my head on the roof. I had to put the unit back in to get the horn to stop.
Yah my horn went off too and I jumped like no other. lol But it stopped rught after I pulled it all the way out.
Just disconnect the horn at the horn(under the hood on the driverside fender)
And as far as I know there is no way for you to stop the hazards without messing up your brake lights, but I put a screw in the hazard button spot and they didnt go off(for a while).

Old 08-01-2006, 04:01 PM

lastcoup....yes i think i have the beginning stages of Alzheimers...lol

anyway when the hazard button broke and since i think i'm a know it all i jumped into it (and i don't have any manuals) and found that i could pull the hazard switch out i did go to the dealer and ask to purchase just the button...he said they don't sell just the button and i'll have to buy the entire switch so i did at $280 US....thanks for your help with the 7mm screw at the bulkhead connection, i did replace the switch and everything is normal in my world again.....thanks, jack

Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM
chevyblazerlover2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 96 blazer!!!! I read some something that you can clean the switch and it should work fine. something about the dielectric grease builds up on the connecters. What would be the easiest and lest expensive way i can fix the problem ( I don't have the $700 the dealer is trying to charge me to fix it) My hazard light switch is also broken, can that be the whole problem? or i should just replace the mutifunctional switch all together? I was going to pick up a switch from the junk yard from a 95 model ( it only is going to cost me $28 and they give me back $10 for the core from the steeringcolumn)will that work also?