2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

grinding humming sound front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default grinding humming sound front end

I recently purchased a 2001 blazer LT and the problems seem to keep coming. The noise I'm referring to started out a few days ago as a low and quiet hum or wuum wuum wuum coming from the passenger side. Well today it's increased to a grinding, crunching sound like meteal on metal. Raised the truck up checked for play, none really noticeable. Could it be the hub assembly, wheel bearing or is it the drive axle? I hesistate to drive it to a mechanic because the sound is horrible and don't want to cause anymore damage. Has anyone else had these problems?

Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: grinding humming sound front end

When you raised the truck did you happen to look at the CV Boots?, they would be behind the hub, if one of the boots had a rip, tear it may let dirt into the joint and you would need to replace.

Also checkfor any small rock or object that might be caught in the caliper, rotor, brake pad area...

Old 12-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

The C.V boot looked in great shape no tears or holes thatI can see. The caliper is tight and nothing seems jammed in there. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing but there is no play at the 12 and 6 positions, there is minimal play at 3 and 9.Theres also no evidence of leaking around the C.V joins up.Do Blazers come stock with the Bilsteens.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends, the only Blazer I know of is the ZR2 Offroad option. They have a 3" higher ride height and wider stance...they were the ones with the Bilsteins as stock because of the extra ride height...

That minimum play at 3 & 9 could be what is starting to cause the noise you are hearing. If you have a friend who could rotate the wheels for you by hand you could use either a stethoscope or long screw driver placed on the hub to see if you can hear the noise...

Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My bravada had stock bilstien shocks. There was a post made a while back that detailed the different suspension options...

Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you're driving ( I know you don't want to) and you turn right and the noise is less, turn left and the noise increases, then it's probably the right front wheel bearing.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

What he said. ^
Based on your description, sure sounds like a wheel bearing.

My '00 S10-Blazer also came stock with Bilstiens.

Is it me, or has there been a run on wheel bearing problems lately.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member

Well I haven't drove it since it became a grinding noise. But before it turned into the grinding noise the sound did increase when I turned left or went into a left bend. I parked it at home left it overnight, then went to go to the store andthe noise was terrible.It somehow escalated from a faint sound to the grinding sound.In my opinion it isn't driveable so I'll have to get it towed to my mechanics. Here's my other question since I'm new to four wheel drive vehicles, Can it be towed like any rear wheel drive vehicle or does it need to go on a flatbed or on dollies?

Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Flatbed or dollies only, unless your owners manual says you have a true nuetral posiiton in the t-case.

If you dont have a nuetral position in the t-case then when the rear tires turn with motion it will cuase the t-cae to turn, this will make the tranny turn, except for the tranny pump. Without the tranny pump turning you are NOT getting any lubrication to the tranny parts that are turning. The only way for your tranny pump to pump is with the engine running. Never flat tow or tow with the rear wheels on the ground.

That grinding sound could be your brakes.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Beginning Member

The noise occurs now even while I'm driving straight. I checked the brakes out and they seemed fine, nothing loose, lots of pad and a smooth rotor.i.m pretty sure it's the hub assembly or something with theCV axle.It's a 2001 Chev Blazer LT with 101,000 km on it, it's had the ball joints replaced, fuel sensor is gone because the gas gauge likes to bounce all over. I drove a 5.0 Mustang since I was 20 and basically a Gm 4x4 is something new to me. Thanks for the heads up on how to tow it. Hopefully my mechanic can fix it he was a GM front end tech for years.

Quick Reply: grinding humming sound front end