2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

At my wits end! Squeaky belt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Try a Goodyear Gator back belt. I had a squeaky belt in my Jimmy. Put the Gator back on and went away and never came back.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM
punxweb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richphotos
Take the belt off, start the truck, and listen, do not do this for long, seriously. not long at all, if it is a pulley problem, the noise will stop with the belt off (not more than a minute tops) once you determine that its a pulley problem, start narrowing it down.
I don't think we need to verify it is the belt. No doubt it is. I have been trying to narrow it down, and I am having a hard time with that, that is why I asked here.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Try a Goodyear Gator back belt. I had a squeaky belt in my Jimmy. Put the Gator back on and went away and never came back.
It is squeaking as we speak with the Goodyear Gator belt on there.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by punxweb
It is squeaking as we speak with the Goodyear Gator belt on there.
How old is your belt? Even though they still look good and have no cracks I have found that over time they get hard and start to squeak. The only fix is belt dressing, which you are not supposed to use on a serpentine system or get a new belt. The Goodyear Gatorback is the best belt out there IMO. I have one on the Blazer and the truck.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
berniescout is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had intermittant probs w belt noise. several belts, pullys etc. still intermittant.

I am not suggesting anyone do this, but this was my solution and it stopped 99% of the noise. after looking down the belt watching "run out" I took a flat file and gently held it next to the front side of the belt while the engine was running. It took the edge off of the belt and noise was gone. this could be potentially dangerous and would not suggest it be done. most of the noise does seem to be from the main crank area.

bernie

Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Default Belt squeal...

Went through the same thing on mine, replaced the belt. most of the pulleys etc..finally pulled the belt and used my drill with a wire wheel and cleaned the grooves on all the pulleys really well..no more squeal.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
2ndGen96 is on a distinguished road
Default I fixed my squeak when my ac compressor failed

I remember replacing a belt and the squeak would return within 48hrs. I ignored the squeak for years, then one day the AC compressor failed. It has been four years and still no squeak.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by grizzstang
How old is your belt? Even though they still look good and have no cracks I have found that over time they get hard and start to squeak. The only fix is belt dressing, which you are not supposed to use on a serpentine system or get a new belt. The Goodyear Gatorback is the best belt out there IMO. I have one on the Blazer and the truck.
I have tried 2 new belts, both a Dayco cheapie and a Goodyear gator belt, both squeak.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by berniescout
I have had intermittant probs w belt noise. several belts, pullys etc. still intermittant.

I am not suggesting anyone do this, but this was my solution and it stopped 99% of the noise. after looking down the belt watching "run out" I took a flat file and gently held it next to the front side of the belt while the engine was running. It took the edge off of the belt and noise was gone. this could be potentially dangerous and would not suggest it be done. most of the noise does seem to be from the main crank area.

bernie
Interesting and ballsy idea. I may have to try that. I have nothing to lose at this point.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by AKJeff64
Went through the same thing on mine, replaced the belt. most of the pulleys etc..finally pulled the belt and used my drill with a wire wheel and cleaned the grooves on all the pulleys really well..no more squeal.
Already wire wheeled every pulley and it did not help.

Quick Reply: At my wits end! Squeaky belt!