2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help! Blazer keeps stalling / dieing randomly????

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road

I will still do a pressure test, but if the pump was going bad, wouldnt there be loss of power? Because i can still rsise the rpms with no problem

Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member

It keeps getting worse and worse, it just died three times in a row on a busy road. Ses light just turned on, i am now going to get it scanned.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
Micscience is on a distinguished road

what is the longest the car has run for without stalling? I have the same symptom before my blazer stopped starting and in my case it can be either the spider or the pump I'm not sure yet til later on today.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member

The dtc was short to the icm (ignotion control module) so i replaced it and now it seens finr. Thanks for all the help guys, i will continue to post on this thread if it starts acting up again

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What was the "PXXXX" number of the DTC?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member

okay, i took it for a drive tonight and it stalled on me twice. it will run for a minute or so before it shuts off. i dont know the exact code, but i installed the new icm and it is continuing to die, engine light off now, i dont know what to do next besides check fuel pressure which i will do tomorrow morning.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Without setting a DTC in memory when the problem occurs, it usually means the problem is probably not something that the PCM monitors. The fuel delivery system is one of them. In the video that you posted, it appeared that it took a bit of cranking to get it going, which could indicate a problem with the fuel pump not building pressure immediately when its activated. To check it, connect the fuel pressure tester to the service port next to the distributor. Somewhere near the power brake booster there should be a red wire with a terminal on the end, not connected to anything. This is the fuel pump prime circuit and goes directly to the fuel pump. Connect a fused jumper wire to battery positive and touch the red wire several times while paying close attention to the needle on the tester. It should build pressure immediately each time the pump is activated. While the pump is running, pressure must be 60psi to 66psi. When you remove the wire, pressure must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Check this out and post your results.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Without setting a DTC in memory when the problem occurs, it usually means the problem is probably not something that the PCM monitors. The fuel delivery system is one of them. In the video that you posted, it appeared that it took a bit of cranking to get it going, which could indicate a problem with the fuel pump not building pressure immediately when its activated. To check it, connect the fuel pressure tester to the service port next to the distributor. Somewhere near the power brake booster there should be a red wire with a terminal on the end, not connected to anything. This is the fuel pump prime circuit and goes directly to the fuel pump. Connect a fused jumper wire to battery positive and touch the red wire several times while paying close attention to the needle on the tester. It should build pressure immediately each time the pump is activated. While the pump is running, pressure must be 60psi to 66psi. When you remove the wire, pressure must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Check this out and post your results.
Okay sounds good, i will do it tomorrow morning.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
Micscience is on a distinguished road

That is what was exactly happening to my Blazer dieing randomly around one 1 minute with no DTC's before it stopped starting at all.

Captain Hook = The Old Master?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Micscience
That is what was exactly happening to my Blazer dieing randomly around one 1 minute with no DTC's before it stopped starting at all.

Captain Hook = The Old Master?
I've been called worse names

Quick Reply: Need help! Blazer keeps stalling / dieing randomly????