2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help in cutting access door

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Lverboten is on a distinguished road
Default Need help in cutting access door

First post here and in desperate need to find a solution. I need to cut out an access door to replace my fuel pump and any other helpful advice in replacing the pump would be appreciated as well. Have already cut the carpet in the rear and can't see where the fuel pump would be located. Need help to get in the ballpark area. I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4wd, 2 door. My tank is full and don't want to drop the tank if I can avoid it plus have noone to help me and was quoted a price of $950.00 at the garage.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search is your friend! Its been discussed many times before. Although I feel this is not a valid alternative to dropping the tank... Why not just do it right instead of hacking up your truck?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lverboten
My tank is full and don't want to drop the tank if I can avoid it plus have noone to help me
Even full, the tank isn't unmanageably heavy. 20 gallons of gas weigh 120 pounds. It won't be any fun, but you won't kill yourself doing it. You can always drop it and siphon the fuel out of it before putting it back....and you probably should anyway, just because that'll let you clean the crap out of the tank while it's down.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Lverboten is on a distinguished road

Well never mind. I didn't find the info or help I was seeking and believe me I used search as a first means of finding my own info on the subject matter that I was seeking before asking here. I cut an access door out in my 2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door to just above my fuel pump and I installed a new pump and all is well and running great. BTW, I did drop the tank as I had no idea where the location of the pump was on the top of the gas tank. Then I cut the access door with the tank on the ground and if I have to replace this again it will be so much easier the next time. GM should have taken a cue from the Japanese and put a factory access door over the fuel pump as it makes it easier and much quicker to get your Blazer up and running so you can go to work and take care of your family in these economically trying times.

Last edited by Lverboten; 10-03-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

idk, the average life of a electric fuel pump is around 150K+ miles. by the time it needs another, theres a good chance you'll no longer own it. the tank on a blazer isnt to bad to do. on my ranger pickup i was able to pull the bed off and avoid dropping the tank.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I understand your thinking. But as stated if you us GM replacement parts (Delphi pumps) the chances of ever changing one again is not likely. I guess when you need spark plugs you'll build a quick coupling disconnect for the steering shaft. ( Please post pictures if you do) Great idea but again if you install OEM AC Delco platinum plugs they go 100,000+ miles.
Just a note GM has used access door on Some Buick's I know for sure, maybe others. Did you do any pictures of the access door? I personally think you have a great idea. I'd like to see pictures.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 10-03-2010 at 08:00 PM.