2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer HID install. Need some help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
lynxxyarly is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer HID install. Need some help :(

Hello, all!
A while back you guys helped me figure out my fuel tank issue where the gas was going in really slow. Your advice really helped me, so I figured I'd come back here again and see if anyone else can offer me some advice.
Well, for some background, I'm working on installing my HID 9006 8000k low beam package I received from HIDextra, recently. They said I needed a special capacitor, as well. They sent me all that and I read over the instructions and it all looked fairly easy to install, so I did it.
Next thing I know, the capacitors blew and the lights didn't work. The instruction sheet said that if you got the positive and negative plug switched around it could blow the capacitor, however I double and triple-checked to make sure everything was matching up. (red into the positive end and then red on red for the rest of the plugs).
I have a few pictures I took of the whole wiring setup, with everything 'ready to go' except for the plugging in to the OEM harness.
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, but perhaps some people on here can provide me with some information regarding this weird case.
The attached pictures are of after I attempted to hook the lights up, and the capacitor is blown (as you can see). This is exactly how I hooked it all up to the vehicle.
I appreciate all help that is offered to me
PS Sorry the resolution is so big. I wanted to make sure everyone could see it all in perfect detail.

Last edited by lynxxyarly; 03-05-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

If something blew, get in touch with Michelle. I can't see anything wrong, maybe it was defective from the get go.

Also, you have photobucket, I'd suggest resizing those pictures to 800x600 just so you don't plug up the forum. I'm looking at this on my 1366x768 monitor, and I still have to scroll from side to side lol.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, sorry about the resolution. I toned them down.

Also, contacting michelle via a private message on the forum...or directly at hidextra?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

My '99 didn't use capacitors... how is the '01 different?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
My '99 didn't use capacitors... how is the '01 different?

No idea. I was reading your guide and thusly was confused.

Maybe it has to do with new computer management?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM

See what Michelle says. Also, those pics are HUGE !

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

Ive since edited them down in photobucket to 800x600, and for some reason, it wont change on here. I even edited my post, delted the img tag and replaced the link...even though that shouldn't make a difference.

Must be something in the cache of the forum.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

When you downsized the photos... did you hit "Save a copy" or "replace original"? You need to replace the original.

I'm trying to figure out why you'd have Capacitors... I don't remember there being any on my kit (which is yet to be installed)... I'll have to look tomorrow. Not trying to put an idiot tag on your forehead, but do you mean ballast?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oktain
When you downsized the photos... did you hit "Save a copy" or "replace original"? You need to replace the original.
I'm trying to figure out why you'd have Capacitors... I don't remember there being any on my kit (which is yet to be installed)... I'll have to look tomorrow. Not trying to put an idiot tag on your forehead, but do you mean ballast?
Negative. If you look closely at the pictures you'll see there is that extra plug running from the ballast box itself (as opposed to the long wire that is preattached) In that plug is the capacitor, which Michelle said I needed for my 2001.*
I'm just going off what she said, there. Anyways, I tried running the whole setup without the capacitor and the lights wouldnt even come on.
I assume you plug the very long plug into the ballast box directly, you plug the 2 little wires into each other, then you plug the short plug by the bulb into the OEM plug going into the car, yes?
The only extra step I did was plug the capacitor into the ballast box, then plug that long wire into the other end of the capacitor, making sure to line up red wire on red wire going into the + sign on the plug of the ballast box and as well as the other end of the capacitor plug (that being red on red).*
My result with the capacitor plugged in was the capacitor being blown, and nothing happening with the lights on the first try. I double-checked my work and reread the directions and plugged the second capacitor into my second ballast box (all 'new' stuff, while the current ballast, bulb wire harness, and blown capacitor I'll denote 'old') along with the other wiring harness for the light itself.
Same exact thing happened, and I even tried plugging everything directly into the OEM without the capacitor and the light didnt come on for the second ballast box, either.
Kinda confused as to what I did wrong...
EDIT: I think the pictures should scale properly now for people.

EDIT 2: Im not sure why astericks are showing up in my posts after I edit things....

Last edited by lynxxyarly; 03-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Are you sure that the capacitor is plugged into the ballast correctly? I know it was tough to tell which side was the + on the ballast. Mine was not marked.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 03-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer HID install. Need some help :(