2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

NEW AC Compressor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
stokedstephen is on a distinguished road
Default NEW AC Compressor Issues

Hey everyone, I have another question/problem...

I recently fixed my blower motor issue and the heat was blowing great and all of the settings were working correctly. With all of that working correctly I decided to do an overhaul on my AC system which hasn't worked in a while. It had a leak and several other problems.

So today I pulled it all apart to replace the Accumulator, Compressor, Orifice Tube, High Side Port, sensors and every gasket/seal. With it all pulled apart I flushed the lines, evaporator and condenser really well and followed the proper procedure. After flushing everything I ran air through it for the full 30 min. to get any solvent out, and then after reassembly pulled vacuum for 40 min and did a 30 minute leak check and it held with no leaks. It is a 32 ounce system, so I had three 12 ounce cans ready for the recharge (planning on using the 3rd can partially). I was able to get 2 cans in, but then the pressure on the high side started getting really high. It is supposed to be around 220, and it shot up to 300. I stopped there, and didn't put additional refrigerant in and drove it around for a bit. By the end of driving around the compressor was squeaking really bad, and was getting extremely hot! I put the correct amount of oil in the compressor before reassembly, and there was enough refrigerant in the system to operate.

So why is my brand new compressor acting up? Could it be defective? Did I miss something? All of the sensors are new, and working.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stokedstephen
Hey everyone, I have another question/problem...

I recently fixed my blower motor issue and the heat was blowing great and all of the settings were working correctly. With all of that working correctly I decided to do an overhaul on my AC system which hasn't worked in a while. It had a leak and several other problems.

So today I pulled it all apart to replace the Accumulator, Compressor, Orifice Tube, High Side Port, sensors and every gasket/seal. With it all pulled apart I flushed the lines, evaporator and condenser really well and followed the proper procedure. After flushing everything I ran air through it for the full 30 min. to get any solvent out, and then after reassembly pulled vacuum for 40 min and did a 30 minute leak check and it held with no leaks. It is a 32 ounce system, so I had three 12 ounce cans ready for the recharge (planning on using the 3rd can partially). I was able to get 2 cans in, but then the pressure on the high side started getting really high. It is supposed to be around 220, and it shot up to 300. I stopped there, and didn't put additional refrigerant in and drove it around for a bit. By the end of driving around the compressor was squeaking really bad, and was getting extremely hot! I put the correct amount of oil in the compressor before reassembly, and there was enough refrigerant in the system to operate.

So why is my brand new compressor acting up? Could it be defective? Did I miss something? All of the sensors are new, and working.
If the old compressor was shelled, probably some pieces were hiding somewhere.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

The old compressor seemed ok actually, and there wasn't any metal in the lines/orifice tube. Would a faulty high pressure switch on the compressor cause this? It is a new one...

Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

If it under charged, only 24 of 32 oz., and the head pressure took off, it has air or non condensables in it. As an HVAC-R tech. I pressure test with nitrogen, and always break a vacumme as quickly as possible. See if you can get a micron gauge, system should pull down to 500 microns and hold. If microns go up, its sucking air. I don't think the compressor shaft seal is designed to hold a vac. for very long. If the system is holding pressure, and you got your leaks fixed, re-evacuate, and recharge.
What did you flush the lines out with?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member

How could it suck air into the system if it wasn't leaking after the vacuum test? I am an ac repair first timer, so I don't know a whpleasure lot.
I flushed the lines with the ac pro "ac flush solvent" from autozone. I was able to blow shop air freely through the evaporator and condenser after flushing, and only got Brown crap and old refrigerant out, no metal shavings.