2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New. Question about Auto climate control HVAC control panel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
kota04sxt is on a distinguished road
Default New. Question about Auto climate control HVAC control panel.

Hi. This is my first post on this forum. I am working on a 98 Blazer LT with auto climate control. I have read and searched through the site already. I have spent a few hours reading. This started out as a blend door actuator replacement. I know the actuator is stuck on heat, as I had verified this a few months ago. I was going to start the repair this evening, when I was informed that the HVAC was completely inop. I have checked all vaccum lines for the hvac, and power at the fuse box. Everything checked out. Right now the hvac control panel will not do anything. I have not pulled it out yet to check the controller itself. Just wondering if these are prone to fail? Anyone had one fail, and did you have the same issues with nothing at all working off of it. The A/C, rear defrost and blower are not working. The temp selector wasnt working prior to this because of the blend door. So, anyone have this problem before? Am I forgetting to check anything? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Anyone?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the IGN E fuse in the underhood fuse block.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by RonJon
Check the IGN E fuse in the underhood fuse block.
I just checked it. It's fine. Anything else it could be? Like I said, I have checked all vaccum and hvac fuses. The blower doesnt turn on, nor does the rear defrost or a/c. The rear defrost not turning on is what was making me lean towards the whole switch panel being bad. Any other ideas out there? It's 20* out, heat would be nice lol

Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the manual system. I was hoping for an easy answer after scanning schematics. That fuse powers your A/C relay and rear defogger relay and possibly you didn't associate the name with that (I know I wouldn't) Only things I can suggest is RDO BATT fuse, HVAC and HVAC 1 fuse, ground splice pack located on the body harness when you pull the controls out or as you say - bad control panel. No simple testing procedure. If you had a buddy who works at the dealers that ECC module can be scanned for errors with a Tech2 tool.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by RonJon
I have the manual system. I was hoping for an easy answer after scanning schematics. That fuse powers your A/C relay and rear defogger relay and possibly you didn't associate the name with that (I know I wouldn't) Only things I can suggest is RDO BATT fuse, HVAC and HVAC 1 fuse, ground splice pack located on the body harness when you pull the controls out or as you say - bad control panel. No simple testing procedure. If you had a buddy who works at the dealers that ECC module can be scanned for errors with a Tech2 tool.
Thanks for the advice. Just wasn't sure if there were any hidden relays or anything. Hopefully I can track down a control panel for this thing. I have found 8 million manual ones, just can't seem to find a decent priced auto one.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kota04sxt
Thanks for the advice. Just wasn't sure if there were any hidden relays or anything. Hopefully I can track down a control panel for this thing. I have found 8 million manual ones, just can't seem to find a decent priced auto one.
i hear ya on that brother. my "floor" stopped working this past June, and i've searched everywhere for one.

i finally tracked down one (for a decent price) but i've been waiting a month for it. can't wait to get it, 'cause i'm getting tired of having the hot air blowing in my face-hell, i just stopped wearing shorts on Saturday!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i hear ya on that brother. my "floor" stopped working this past June, and i've searched everywhere for one.

i finally tracked down one (for a decent price) but i've been waiting a month for it. can't wait to get it, 'cause i'm getting tired of having the hot air blowing in my face-hell, i just stopped wearing shorts on Saturday!
Yeah, it sucks. I guess it's not hard to find one, it's just hard to find one for a good price.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kota04sxt
Yeah, it sucks. I guess it's not hard to find one, it's just hard to find one for a good price.
no, i couldn't find any. sorry, i actually found one in July, but the guy wanted $150 for it, and no it wasn't BN.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
no, i couldn't find any. sorry, i actually found one in July, but the guy wanted $150 for it, and no it wasn't BN.
Eh, I have found a few on ebay. Around $80-$100. But, I can snag one from a pull-a-part salvage yard for $12 when they get one in. Just wish I could find one a little cheaper than 80 bucks.

Quick Reply: New. Question about Auto climate control HVAC control panel.