2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newly purchased ZR2,3 quarts low on Tranny fluids,but it does not leak tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM
ski.dive is on a distinguished road
Default Newly purchased ZR2,3 quarts low on Tranny fluids,but it does not leak tranny fluid?

I just purchased a 2001 ZR2 2 days ago,209,000 miles it runs great!

Everything on this ZR2 is working properly.

+But when I checked the tranny fluids it was 3 quarts low,[it does not leak any fluids]

***How can it be 3 quarts low , if it's not leaking transmission fluids?

Why would it be 3 quarts low, with no tranny fluid leaks.

Last edited by ski.dive; 01-24-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

It could be leaking into the transfer case. Take the fill plug out (top one) and see if fluid comes out, if so that's your problem. Transfer case removal and new seal. Or monitor it if its not to bad. If not kept up on this can cause problems with 4wd and heater vents

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

^^ Yup, I agree. Will definitely cause problems with the transfer case if it's the 4 button, Auto 4WD, (it uses a different fluid).

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

ive seen thisissue with a few S-blazers, my current one included, i took out the top plug of the transfer case ans 4 qts came out, more than the transfer case is even supposed to hold! $12 seal, not too bad to replace, just time consuming, good time to replace the fuel filter too, as its alot easier to get to with the transfer case out of the way. you'll want help putting it back in. that thing is heavy and awkward to handle. you will also want a new gasket between the trans and transfer case. forget what that cost me, had to get the gasket from a stealership.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

If it uses the radiator to cool the fluid check your antifreeze, I don't know if the zr2 has an external cooler. I had this happen a long time ago on another car were the fitting/coils for the trans leaked internal to the radiator.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

i think every auto trans 4.3 blazer has a trans cooler in the radiator.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by racsan
i think every auto trans 4.3 blazer has a trans cooler in the radiator.
Yup, and they're about worthless.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
Double d is on a distinguished road

agreed! I capped mine and installed a external one,

Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 AM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Double d
agreed! I capped mine and installed a external one,
Do you really need one if you don't tow or is it just a good idea to have one?
Also on the OP problem could it be the modulator? Seems I once had a car that did this and that was the problem.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Definitely need a cooler of some sort, even if you don't tow. I do the same thing on all of my vehicles: Install a heavy duty aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator and totally bypass the cooler in the radiator. A leaky diaphragm in a modulator could definitely cause trans fluid consumption however, the OP's vehicle has a 4L60E transmission, no modulator valve. Shift points are determined and commanded by the PCM, all electronic.

Quick Reply: Newly purchased ZR2,3 quarts low on Tranny fluids,but it does not leak tranny fluid?