2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Owners manual- power seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Beginning Member
1996 Blazer Driver is on a distinguished road
Default No Owners manual- power seat not working

[1996] Power windows are OK. However, nothing on the seat works. I checked all fuses. Do not know where the relays/circuit breakers are to check. Under the drivers seat there is a large motor and on the other side of the seat switches there is a plastic oblong device attached to the switches. I can not get at either. How do I diagnose this problem and get at hidden area to repair? I would appreciate advice on this problem as we are a "couple" with very different leg lengths Thanks.
Paul

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Search this site and you should find information about this issue. If all else appears ok, I'd betcha you've got a broken wire under the carpet, beneath the brake pedal. You'll have to peel the carpet back to probe this out. good luck-jerry

Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thank, Jerry. I will look under the carpet and check it out. Also I am new member [tonight] and have not cruised this site. Good idea.
Paul

Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

Jerry, I search this forum. Found all kinds of posts re: power seat problems. From my search it appears that there are several places that could be causing the malfunction. 1. The switch and/or motor under the seat 2. the wiring under the carpet. 3. curcuit breaker under the dash.

The wires under the carpet do not look good. there is a flat plastic covering over them. There is a break in that covering where they used a second piece to continue the protection, leaving a small space where the wires are exposed. I am enclosing a picture showing those wires.

Also enclosing two under seat photographs showing the switch and motor along with connections. Two pix in all of the under the seat.

I removed the plastic covering under the driver's side dash. Not sure if I found the curcit breaker. Have enclosed a pix of what it sounde like what I read in various posts.

Now that I have everything exposed, and if I found the curcuit breaker, my plan was to check for power from the breaker, then the power at the switch and/or motor. Not sure the right way to do this. Do the wires being checked have to be exposed or can I check through the insulation? Can I put the pos. probe on the orange wire and the neg probe on a ground like a metal bracket?

Would appreciate a strewp by step as I am lost as to how to proceed. Thank you, Paul

See pix 3 above of the floor wiring. I opened it up to expose the wires. There were 3 orange wires on the seat side and 1 orange on curcuit breaker side. At that point of juncture they were loosely wraped with electrician's tape. I took that off. and found 4 orange wires all disconnected. See enclosed photo.
I will cut back a few inches on either side and cut the 4 wires. Then replace them with good ones.
Does anyone know what size these wires are and where like color wires of that size can be obtained?
Thanks, Paul

Found another. See Photo. This time it is black. Like the orange there are three wires spliced to one. These are still connected, unlike the orange, but corroded. I plan to do the same; cut the wires replace and splice. Hope I do not find any more.
Still do not know how to check power
Thanks, Paul

Attached Thumbnails No Owners manual- power seat not working-switch-module-motor-under-seat-8x10-100ppi.jpg   No Owners manual- power seat not working-connections-seat-motor-8x10-100ppi.jpg   No Owners manual- power seat not working-wires-under-carpet-8x10-100ppi.jpg   No Owners manual- power seat not working-module-under-dash-8x10-100ppi.jpg   No Owners manual- power seat not working-wiring-after-opening-up-8x10-100ppi.jpg  

No Owners manual- power seat not working-wiring-black-corroded-8x10-100ppi.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-29-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post. If you need to attach more pictures, use Photobucket, Imageshack, etc - Do not double post.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the issue is with the orange wire. I would hook it up, even temporarily and see if the seat functions. Be slightly careful as that wire should be 12v. But I betcha that is where your problem lies. I do believe that the lone orange wire does connect to three/two others as I believe that is where the seat gets the different functions-ie up, down, etc. Concentrate on that orange. Good luck-Jerry

Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
Red face

I found out that the black wire[s] are ground. I cut out the orange and black wires that were corroded and replaced them. Still no luck with the power seat. Next I have to check 1. circuit breaker. However I am not able to locate it under the dash. The two large breakers/relays in the fuse compartment have continuity. 2. If I am able to locate it [most likely with some help] and I have continuity with that, I have not sure how or were to check the power in front of the breaker. I am thinking as the wires were so corroded that they were actually severed, that it might have shorted the breaker. No luck Goggling an owner's manual for free download. If I do not hear from you, I will go the library and see if they have one. Wish me luck .
Thanks. Paul

Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Another place to check that I have seen fairly often on these trucks is under the seat where wires come through carpet and go into the motor.
Over time of the seat moving back and forth insulation on a wire gets rubbed through causing it to short against the seat bracket.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

OK! I have an owner's manual. It shows the power seat circuit breaker in the fuse box actually, instead of under the dash - driver's side]. I have not found out how to copy one page of this over 300 page manual [pdf format] However the diagram shows two circuit breakers in the fuse box; one for the power windows and one for the power seats. As I mentioned in my last post, the breaker has continuity. Now I have to check for voltage, ect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Paul

Thanks for the reply. I will check the place right know.
Paul

According to the manual the curciut breaker controls; Pwr Seats, Pwr Door Locks, Keyless entry, Pwr Seat.
All work except the pwr seats. So the breaker sounds good to me.
Its a little late here and getting hard to see, so I will have to wait till tomorrow to check the wires coming out of the carpet into the harness to see if they are frayed.
Paul

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-29-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member
Thumbs up

Well, I have not received any replies for some time now to my question about power. I guess I am not the only who doesn't know this subject.

Thanks jerry for your reply about the wires under carpet. I gave up trying to trace power with my lack of knowledge about it and no replies.

I pretended that I have power and went ahead anyway and cut out the corroded sections and added new wires and connecting them to the seat.

I now have a working power seat. Still do not now how to check power. Except, that is from the battery and some of the fuse outlets.

It rained pretty good the other day. Guess what? My Blazer floor was wet. No idea where the water came from. No apparent drip lines; just a tiny pool of water around the wires. There are a couple of frayed spots in the carpet that would pass water. I will put electrical tape over them. Also have two floor mats one looks like the carpet; one is rubber. . they go on top of the carpeting. But knowing water can find the path of least resistance, I cannot count on those 2 mats. However, I know they will hepl.
In the meantime I will keep my eye peeled for leak source next time it rains.
Paul

Last edited by 1996 Blazer Driver; 09-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you fixed your problem.

I doubt the lack of involvement with your thread was due to lack of knowledge on the subject. More likely reason is that we all are busy with other things.

As far as determining whether you have power or not... That is kind of electrical troubleshooting 101. A test light or multimeter can be used. Connect the test light to a good ground or power source depending on what you are probing. If it lights up with the other end grounded, you have power. If it lights up when you have the other end to a positive source, then you have ground. A multimeter will tell you actual voltage and can be set to test continuity of a circuit as well. There are a number of threads that detail electrical troubleshooting at your finger tips. The original topics do vary, but once you start branching out your searches, you'll find them.