2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Not good..head gasket or intake ...pls help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 AM
nitrous2126 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not good..head gasket or intake ...pls help

Ok here goes... 98 4.3 vortec

about8 monthsmy passenger floor was getting wet...figured it was heater core..so i changed it..pain in the &#$..anyways..seemed to fix the problem..truck started to really drag when accelerating...thought maybe fuel pump but checked fuel pressure and seemed fine..so left it for a bit..changing plugs, wire, cap, all the easy stuff...still no luck...obd2 plug in under dash doesnt work for some reason(no power to it)..so couldnt scan it...more fun!!...anyways..about a month ago started to get steam coming from dash vents...thinking it was again a heater core problem...didnt have the money or time to r&r i simply bypased the heater core since it is summer and will not need heat for a few months(was going to doit then)...also moticed that my temp was getting high and noticed that my rad was always low?? and overflow tank always empty...no sign of rad leak?? very strange i thought...2 days ago i checked my oil and it was WAY high and looked like milkshake... so i changed it and it came out a weird milky beige colour and had what looked like seperation in the oil of a different color...right away thinking head gasket....checked the oil after and although a bit better still very milky...nothing like brand new oil???

So i asked a local mechanic and he said maybe intake gasket.... from reading previous posts i guess i should start with a compression test first....but if anyone could add anything they know plaease feel free do chime in ...would like some 2nd opinions before i go changing the head gasket..and or intake gasket....also if you feel that is what it is any guide step by step or anything would be greatly app. i already have the one posted in the DIY section from pilgrim(thank you pilgrim in advance)

Desperatley needing some help....

Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Not good..head gasket or intake ...pls help

Check the CIG fuse in the inside fuse box. The DLC and the cigarette lighter share the same circuit.

I'll have to think on the rest. Don't have much time to research this right now.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Nitrous, you have a blown intake manifold gasket. Water/coolant in the oil is the tell-tale sign. The fix is not too hard but it takes a lot of time to literally dis-assemble the top end of the engine before you can get to the intake manifold. I can do this job in 6 hours if I stay focused with no interuptions (wife, kids, phone, etc..and I have all the parts and tools assembled in one place and the weather is nice outside (LOL)). Good Luck.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 AM

bump...still havent got toit yet

Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Tsk,tsk. You've been riding the Blazer for a month on bad oil????? You are playing with fire, boy. The main engine bearings swin in the oil and bearing don't like water/coolant. Time to bite the bullet and fix it right. Change the oil a few times after the fix, couple hundred miles between each change, and hope for the best. Good Luck.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM

ok well here we are ...just finished the inatke manifold gasket...big job and it wasin really really bad shape... at least for me..first time runs ok in idle but still seems like something isnt quite right..almost a slight misfire or something...rough idle when in gear....and still not accerating as quick as it should from dead stop

swartllk thanks for info on the dlc fuse...wouldnt have figured that out....so i did a scan and came with 0300...random misfire and 0785..shift/timing solenoid malfunction....any ideas guys pilgim thanks for the diy guide ...couldnt have donee it otherwise

Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

you need to run the crap outta the truck its got buildup in the intake that has to clear out try doing a cleaning with seafoam then changing the oil again that should help with the engine

Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you verified the timing? When you reinstalled your distributor, did your marks line up once you got the distributor bolted back down?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM

ok even bigger problems now! got the timing fixed and it ran like a charm...thought we had it all fixed...drinving and in the first 20 minutes..i could here what i thought was a hum and slight vibrartion from the floor boards...stopped at a red light and she simply shut off and wouldnt start...it sounded like it wanted to.... it would turn but only ever so much..not enough to crank the engine to\start.......i was thinking main bearing failure...so we towed it back...and itryed turning the crank with a wrnch and it seems to turn easy enough...so i dont know what gives....i have just takenthe alternator out to get it tested but i doubt that is the problem....hoping thats it ... but any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated....say it is the main bearing...on a 98 blazer is it even reasonable to think about doing the main bearing or am i looking at posiibly a new motor!!!!!!!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 AM

also no knocking or anything it jsut shut off...if i can get goinf how easy is it to look at the crank...does it mean engine pulling time? i hope not

Quick Reply: Not good..head gasket or intake ...pls help