2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer went under water

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Beginning Member
WiSe KiD is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer went under water

My truck went under water COMPLETELY!! (a picture is attached below)

so far here what i have done

1. replaced main Computer (i think its called E.C.U. i dont know really)
2. replaced Body Control
3. Changed the Spark Plug's
4. Oil has been changed at least 5 times (until the last drop of water is gone)
5. Changed the gear box oil filter
6. Changed gear box oil (Still some water left, Mechanic told nothing to worry)
7. Cleaned the fuel tank
8. new fuel filter
9. Cleaned the air filter
10. fuel pump replaced
11. the thing that spray fuel in the engine that looks kinda like spider also been replaced (cant be cleaned or washed)
12. cleaned the delco
13. wheel def. will be cleaned by today or tomorrow
14. Oh almost forgot new battery.

guys am i missing nething here wich needs to be done ... plz i need your advice

Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man feel sorry for you about that. You also might want to take a look at all your wiring, ie; Fuse box's and any wiring that might have been subject to being under water. This could turn into a nightmare for you..Sorry about that...

Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned
GolfClapperX is on a distinguished road

Change the transmission fluid. That's all I can think of before trying to start it. I'm really glad to see that you're saving the vehicle in a situation where most everyone else would just go have it crushed.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

When and where did this happen?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned
GolfClapperX is on a distinguished road

So I wasn't clear on whether you actually have this thing running again or if you're still doing things to try and fully prepare it for resurrection. I'm just curious to see examples of how much it takes to get a vehicle going again after something like this, as I would resurrect my Blazer no matter how totaled it was. Sincerely good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by rriddle3
When and where did this happen?
I was wondering that also. That sucks for sure. From what I have seen once they get completely under water there seems to be continual problems. These computer vehicles & water are not good.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Beginning Member

this kind of thing almost never happens in where i live (Saudi Arabia) , it happened two months ago shocking flood, Some says because of some water dam broken after heavy rain

After replacing Computers and programming I got it running, then i have changed workshop ... gave to the guys who does mechanical stuff.

well ebry1 telling me to throw it away, but am gonna fix it no metter wat it takes. its been two months now fixing little by little ... ITS KILLING ME NOW .

i am just Curious now is there any place left where water could still stuck in and cause me big problem later on.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Beginning Member
Greg is on a distinguished road

Damn man,sorry this happened to you.I may have missed it,but have you checked and thoroughly cleaned under the Blazer? Maybe regrease everything you can.Good luck,keep us posted.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Beginning Member

thanks alot guys

1 quick question is ther ne other car brands fuel injection's I can use in my V6 98 Blazer. cause blazer's fuel injection kinda expensive.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

Parts are probably outrageous over there! I feel sorry for you. But I know from offroading alot on ATV's. Make sure to change the rear differential oil, and the front wheel bearings. Water can get in anywhere. But you're on the right track with what you have done so far.
The motor... if there's no water floating on top of the oil when you drain it. It should be okay. The heat that the motor causes will evaporate any condensation in the motor.
The transmission... I'm assuming yours is an automatic. Auto do not like water! So getting it drained well is important. Also the torque convertor(the part that conects to the motor and turns when running) will hold a lot of fluid and water. There is usually a drain plug on it also. Usually a square head bolt, not very big, and you have to turn the motor by hand to find it usually.
The differential... Changing the fluid is good. But I'd pull the pan off of it and spray the gears out with some kind of cleaner. Dirt likes to settle at the bottom of everything.
Wheel bearings... These don't like water either. 4x4's have sealed front bearings(so they might be alright). But 2wd... I'd at least take the front bearing apart and re-pack with grease. The rear bearings are more involved but they won't be too bad if you do it all while change the fluid. You have to pull the axles out of the differential to get to these bearing. But if there was alot of water in the differential... water got to these bearings also.
Fuel system.. Your on the right track. I don't think it would be required to change the injectors. The pump(yes), and blowing out the lines. But for the amount of water (if any) in the injector assembly I would think it would be okay.
Electrical... Computer is a good start. But I think you already have it running. I hope you let it sit there for a couple of dry days before you hooked up a fresh battery and turned the key. Usually water destroys electronics. But mainly because they have power and are short circuited by the water. Sometimes if you let electronics air dry and take away the power source they will survive. But the dirt in the water when it dries leaves a film and can cause contact problems. Good thing is most of your sensors should be fine. GM uses weather-tite conectors on most engine sensors. But interior switches and buttons are a different story.
I can't remember if you got it running or not... But if you haven't tried to turn it over yet.... Pull all the spark plugs out and then turn the motor over a couple of times. This will get any water out of the cylinders before you start the truck. I've heard of cases where the water in a cylinder can cause it to crack a piston all the way to bending a rod.
I know I just wrote a book But hopefully it helps some.

Quick Reply: 98 Blazer went under water