Thought I would put my notes in here as well. I pulled my tank today and had very few issues. The blazer has lived in Florida and Nevada. Rust was no issue for me. Total time for this project was about four hours.
Removed the spare tire.
Lifted the rear end of the vehicle and put it on jack stands as high as they would safely go. (chocked the front wheels!)
I was able to crawl into the space where the spare tire goes and "easily" remove the vent and inlet hoses. They were super dirty, were a PITA to get off the tank, but after pulling and prying (gently so not to rip them) they finally came free. Stuffed a rag in each and pushed them off to the side.
Because the Haynes manual said to do so, I disconnected the fuel line at the inlet side of the fuel filter. I left an oil pan underneath it which I am glad I did; when I disconnected the line from the fuel pump fuel poured out of it. I'm glad I did this because if not, it would of came out of the fuel pump side of the fuel line.
I was also able to reach the fuel pump lines quite easily from this spot, disconnected them very easily.
Then I put a jack with a 2x4 to prop the tank to prep it for lowering. Removed the straps and lowered the tank enough to pull off the vent line in the front of the tank with a pair of channel locks.
Replacing the pump and sender unit was pretty straightforward. Rewiring the electrical connectors took a few minutes but had those wires wrapped up nicely.
Putting the tank back up was a little tricky, using my knees for leverage and the same setup to lower it to get the straps in place was awkward but effective. Ran into trouble with that 2x4 because I placed it right where a strap needed to go. So using the knees once again instead of the jack and 2x4 I got the straps on no problem. Had to lower the rear strap after tightening it because after inspection of the install I saw the strap tab was not inserted into the frame where it should have been.
Filled her up, gave her a test drive, and had a beer. I'm glad my fuel gauge works again!