2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

O2 Sensor Wiring Colors ? Need to splice...

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Question O2 Sensor Wiring Colors ? Need to splice...

I need to splice in a 4-wire O2 sensor in my 99 Blazer.

My harness O2 wiring has (2) Dark Brown, (1) Tan and (1) Purple wire.

The O2 sensor has (2) Black, (1) White and (1) Blue wires.

It's obvious the Dark Brown and Black wires correspond.

What about the other (2) wires ?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I'd suggest you get the correct sensor. It's not a simple as it seems (the blacks/browns). The tan is a sensor high, purple is sensor low. The two browns: If you look at the truck side harness you'll see one is a 12v+ pink, one is a black ground. Probably the heating element will work no matter which way you wire the polarity (two browns), but the other two WILL determine if it generates a positive or negative voltage. Did it come with any kind of a diagram or wire labeling?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Starting Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What are you driving?
1999 Blazer.

Originally Posted by RonJon
Personally I'd suggest you get the correct sensor. It's not a simple as it seems (the blacks/browns). The tan is a sensor high, purple is sensor low. The two browns: If you look at the truck side harness you'll see one is a 12v+ pink, one is a black ground. Probably the heating element will work no matter which way you wire the polarity (two browns), but the other two WILL determine if it generates a positive or negative voltage.

Did it come with any kind of a diagram or wire labeling?
No. I bought it from the Classifieds on here. It was off an 2002 Blazer.

Will it do any harm if the +/- get hooked up backwards ? I should know if it works or not if the CEL goes out.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-28-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: *Combining Consective Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply. If replying to multiple quotes, use the multiquote feature.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

The wiring colors are the same for my 2000 and your '99. I don't know what they are for an '02, wait for Swarlkk to reply before cutting any wires, he probably could tell you whether it'll work or not with the additional info you provided him and tell you how to wire it. If you get the 12v feed wrong it could hurt the computer, it's expecting less than 1 volt to come back on the sensor lines

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT cut the wires! The sensor breathes through the wires. Just get the proper sensor or you'll be wasting time and money.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

Swartlkk is right, any variance in resistance will throw off the values. if you cut, splice or solder the wires together there will be a change in resistance, most likely adding more resistance therefore changing the values going thru the wires. it would not matter on the heating element + or -, but it would throw off the sensor high and low input and output values to and from the PCM

Last edited by Nvidia78; 03-28-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys.

I researched through many wiring diagrams and found the colors did in fact change from my 99s starting in 2002.

I'll just go buy a new one with the correct adapter already in place.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member
akblazer2000 is on a distinguished road
Default wiring diagram

Can you send me the link the wiring diagram for a 2000 blazer that you found.
I am dealing with a P0135 code that i cant fix. Any help would be awesome.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
zomz is on a distinguished road
Default Verify O2 sensor wire colors

I searched and came acrossed this thread, but I want to verify that what I found is correct. Can someone (swartlkk?) verify the following information:
  • o2 side tan wire = sensor high/12v+
  • o2 side purple wire = sensor low/gnd
  • o2 side browns = heater wires (truck side pink = 12v+ and black = gnd)
This information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Wiring Colors ? Need to splice...