Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM

frothygnome is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pressure Sender/Gauge

When turning the vehicle off, is the oil pressure dial supposed to drop down to 0?

...mine stays at the last position it was in while the car was running. And when the key is put in the ignition and turned to ACC all of the other gauges spring to life while the oil pressure dial then drops to 0.

Vehicle turned off (the oil pressure was low when turned off -- if it had been at 40 the needle would read 40 in the below picture):

Click the image to open in full size.

ACC position:

I'm trying to troubleshoot my low oil pressure problem and have a good feeling it's just the oil pressure sender. Curious if this was a sign affirming that...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130603122540.jpg (88.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20130603122523.jpg (93.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by frothygnome; 06-04-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Add pictures...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member

blazzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frothygnome View Post
When turning the vehicle off, is the oil pressure dial supposed to drop down to 0?

...mine stays at the last position it was in while the car was running. And when the key is put in the ignition and turned to ACC all of the other gauges spring to life while the oil pressure dial then drops to 0.

Vehicle turned off (the oil pressure was low when turned off -- if it had been at 40 the needle would read 40 in the below picture):

ACC position:

I'm trying to troubleshoot my low oil pressure problem and have a good feeling it's just the oil pressure sender. Curious if this was a sign affirming that...

Thanks!
Does your oil pressure read constant when driving
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM

No, it moves around (not erratically).

On a cold start the gauge will read 40psi and slowly drop from there as it warms up.

I haven't driven the vehicle in three days since I noticed the oil pressure being on the low side and the "check gages" light flickering on occasion at full stops -- don't want to risk damage.

I looked around by the distributor and think I see signs of wet oil by where the oil pressure sender would be, so i'm hoping that's the cause of my problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
1996 GMC Jimmy
My Garage

AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

if it gets low enought to illuminate the check gauges light in could be a problem, but the gauge staying where you leave it when you turn the key off is normal.
98 Blazer 4x4 - Sold
78 Suburban - Sold
99 Bravada - Sold
95 K1500 4.3 5 speed - Sold
85 Toyota Celica - Sold
88 F150 - Sold
96 S10 ZR2 - sold
I'm just goning to stop listing more things as they just keep adding up
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks, Andrew! That's what I was curious to know...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
1998 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When the ignition is in the RUN position, engine running or not, the dash gauge will indicate the oil pressure. When the engine is running, and you shut it off, the gauge will continue to indicate the last reading before the ignition was shut off. Yours is working as it was designed to. As for accuracy, you'll need to install a manual gauge to test the oil pressure and compare it to your dash gauge.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If your oil presure is only running at 40psi at start up its on the low side.If the engine has no problems with brearings or anything it should start up at 60 psi cold and run about 45 or psi.The 4.3 can run safely at lower oil presures.I had one in my van that would run 25psi engine hot and start at 50 psi cold.Mt 94 gmc truck starts at about 58 psi cold and runs at 45 psi hot.Hopefully its just the sending unit and not the intake manifold leaking.Also could be a valve cover leaking also with the oil dripping back behind the engine.
While driving remember this rule of thumb,If another driver switches lanes infront of you cutting you off causing you to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that they almost caused its your fault and you should be happy that they flip you the bird when you lay on the horn.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

It's actually my brother-in-law's truck, so i'm not able to confirm what the oil pressure has read in the past, but it's definitely reading 40psi from a cold start now. It's a 2000 4.3L V6 4x4.

I picked up a new sending unit this afternoon and will attempt to install it tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick. If not, i'll be sure to pick up a manual gauge to get a better understanding of what's going on.

As far as oil leaks, I haven't seen anything too obvious or concerning. And I've spent a good deal of time poking around this vehicle from all angles these past few weeks, putting new brakes on it and dropping the fuel tank to install a new fuel pump, etc... I'll be sure to give it a good once-over while i'm working on it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM

LannyL81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some hints: at the very least the distributor must come out to even see the oil pressure sensor much less remove it. And a pathway to take the dist out is required, so ignition module, coil, evap relay, etc will likey need to be removed.

That oil pressure sensor is at the very back of the intake, under the fiewall. I can get to the one on my Corvette easier than the one on the Blazer.

Have plenty of "Band-Aids" available for numerous scraps and cuts.

Good luck on this one. Might be a good time to put a new cap and rotor in, perhaps plug wires too.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
1998 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the spring in the oil pressure bypass valve gets weak, it will cause oil pressure to be low. Pretty simple to replace or "tweek" the pressure up a bit. Remove the oil filter adapter, (rear of engine where the oil cooler lines attach). Remove the bypass valve and either replace it, (under $10) or put a washer under the spring to increase the spring tension.

A leaky intake manifold gasket will not cause a drop in oil pressure, unless it leaks all of the oil out
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Tags
1995, 96, 98, blazer, check, chevy, filter, fix, guage, jimmy, low, manual, oil, pressure, sender, sensor