2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0410 code and the check engine light

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member
robrote is on a distinguished road
Default P0410 code and the check engine light

I have just replaced the smog pump and 30 amp fuse (the 10 amp was fine) but the check engine light will not go out. I had the battery out of the car for an hour and thought that may reset it, but no luck.

The new pump seems to be running fine.

Any idea how to get this light out, or did I miss something in the smog pump replacement.

99 Blazer 4X4
Auto, 4.3
135,000 miles

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that you have correctly diagnosed the problem? P0410 can be a pesky code.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member

Well swartlkk, I had the code flashed and benched the pump and found that it was not working. I put the new pump in and replaced the fuse and the pump is now clearly working. I also put a new relay in while I was at it. Not sure what else to look at.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

There is more to the system than just the pump.

IMVHO, I would get a PCM tune and have that damn code deleted completely. It pops up on me every now and then and I just clear it with my scanner. The system is only functional for the first few minutes when you start up a cold engine.

Guess I should follow my own advice...lol

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that there are 60 steps in the diagnostic page that I linked to, I doubt you have gone through them all. You could have a bad shutoff solenoid or valve, a problem with one of the check valves, etc. That is why I linked to the diagnostic page for this code for you...

If you delete the code, you could remove the system completely plugging off the ports in the exhaust manifolds. The AIR system is mainly to increase the life of the catalytic converter while giving it a bump in efficiency. Not necessarily required for everything to operate, however, it is against federal law to tamper with these systems...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Swartlkk. The light went off after driving it for an hour or so. I'm hoping that it reset itself. I'd hate to plug off the system after just buying a pump, but will if I have to.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Beginning Member

I'm still fighting this freaking light. One thing I forgot to mention, the check engine light came on immediately after installing a new set of spark plugs and wires and replacing a thermostat that was stuck open. Not sure how that's connected.

I tried going through the menu of diagnostics that Swartlkk linked to, but I don't have a vacum pump or a multimeter etc.

The pump seems to be functioning properly (runs for about a min at start up), and I replaced some vacum hoses and also disassembled a valve atached to the pump. The diaphram and spring looked to be in good shape.

Ugh.