2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0452 solved!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member
piedmontfbody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P0452 solved!!

Ok, after much anguish and almost accepting defeat, I have now conquered (for the time being) the dreaded P0452 DTC.

Recap of what happened:
August 2008- replaced fuel pump, AC Delco unit. Everything good until November 2009.
November 2009- SES light on, EGR bad. Replaced with AC Delco unit.
December 2009- SES light on, P0440 'gas cap'. Replaced with new aftermarket unit. Cleared code, light still on,scanned this time for a P0452.
February 2010- Light still on, P0452 code scanned. Changed the Tank Pressure sensor, cleared codes, took for a 60 mile drive, light still on. Banged head against the wall. Changed the purge solenoid in the rear. Repeated clear and drive. Light still on.
March 2010- Replaced the vac solenoid and the evap can, cleared code, drove, light still on.
Today- For some reason I decided to check to see if the tank pressure sensor was getting voltage. Probed it and didnot get a reading. Started tracing the wire looms back and lo and behold-- I found the problem! One bunch of wires had been riding on the driveshaft for the past 8 months!

Back in July, the sun gear shield in the trans crapped out, so I went ahead and paid the tranny man to rebuild the transmission. It looks like when they put it back in, they did not run the wire loom back thru the fasteners which allowed it to drape across the drive shaft. Eventually, it wore thru the loom, then 3 wires. I cut out the bad sections, spliced in new wire, soldered it, taped it and put it back in the loom. Ran the loom back thru the clips and zip tied it. Cleared the codes,drove a few miles, shut off, restarted and the light was OFF!! I went down later today a restarted again and it was still off.

Right now, the light is off. I didn't mind putting new parts on it since it has 100K on it, but I would like to have known what was the root cause to begin with. I figure $200 in parts was still cheaper than having someone diagnose it.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the find!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

it always feels good to fix something yourself then having someone else do it.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Servicegod is on a distinguished road
Default P0452

I am having the same issue. Just replaced the fuel pump in the tank. Where is this sensor? Is it part of the fuel pump assy??
Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Starting Member
boogaloo is on a distinguished road
Default same trouble with p0452

Thanks PIEDMONTFBODY. After searching further into the problem. Started with the fuel cap (changed it out). I went directly to searching the wiring. Low and behold, the wiring harness, where it crosses the cross member under the drive shaft, came loose and wore through 4 of the wires inside the loom. I spliced them all back together, Cleared the CEL and P0452 is no more!!! yippee!!! Thanks for the great find..

Last edited by boogaloo; 08-18-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: giving recognition
Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Starting Member
m_hayes420 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by piedmontfbody
Ok, after much anguish and almost accepting defeat, I have now conquered (for the time being) the dreaded P0452 DTC.

Recap of what happened:
August 2008- replaced fuel pump, AC Delco unit. Everything good until November 2009.
November 2009- SES light on, EGR bad. Replaced with AC Delco unit.
December 2009- SES light on, P0440 'gas cap'. Replaced with new aftermarket unit. Cleared code, light still on,scanned this time for a P0452.
February 2010- Light still on, P0452 code scanned. Changed the Tank Pressure sensor, cleared codes, took for a 60 mile drive, light still on. Banged head against the wall. Changed the purge solenoid in the rear. Repeated clear and drive. Light still on.
March 2010- Replaced the vac solenoid and the evap can, cleared code, drove, light still on.
Today- For some reason I decided to check to see if the tank pressure sensor was getting voltage. Probed it and didnot get a reading. Started tracing the wire looms back and lo and behold-- I found the problem! One bunch of wires had been riding on the driveshaft for the past 8 months!

Back in July, the sun gear shield in the trans crapped out, so I went ahead and paid the tranny man to rebuild the transmission. It looks like when they put it back in, they did not run the wire loom back thru the fasteners which allowed it to drape across the drive shaft. Eventually, it wore thru the loom, then 3 wires. I cut out the bad sections, spliced in new wire, soldered it, taped it and put it back in the loom. Ran the loom back thru the clips and zip tied it. Cleared the codes,drove a few miles, shut off, restarted and the light was OFF!! I went down later today a restarted again and it was still off.

Right now, the light is off. I didn't mind putting new parts on it since it has 100K on it, but I would like to have known what was the root cause to begin with. I figure $200 in parts was still cheaper than having someone diagnose it.
this is ****in gold same thing happened to me i wouldnt have known if it were not for your post thank you this is great

Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road

I wish I could find my p0440 I checked the purge solenoid, vent solenoid, carbon canister appears good, I may have to have it smoke tested... if there was a vac leak it would be a different code...

Is the tank pressure sensor on the fuel pump plastic drop in thingy??? I have a 97 2-door