2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Undermount Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 AM
hlmj_b is on a distinguished road
Default Undermount Spare tire

Was wondering if anyone had an idea about re mounting the spare tire without getting a whole new assembly? The cable to the spare snapped on a trip recently and couldn't find all the parts. Has anyone ever tried to remount it with just a nut?

Thanks, my truck would be much more useful if the spare wasn't laying on the inside of the truck.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Sure it is possible to rig it up with just a big bolt and nut and a plate to hold the tire in place. However it isn't a good idea.

You want your spare to be easily accessible when your sitting with a flat on the side of the road. If you bolt it up in this manner it won't be.
Holding the tire up in place as you bolt it in is going to be enough of a pain. Now try to imagine trying to get it down that way when your on the side of the road when you have no tools with you and you have somewhere to be. If some time has passed and the bolts get rusty it will be even uglier.

It is a much better option to just get the new assembly and get it over with. Or else live with your spare in the back seat.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

for the time being: just move your roof rack rails close enough together to support the tire properly, and strap it down with some motor cycle tie downs. <-- that will free up the back hatch space.

as for a new spare winch set up, you can pull one off of any under mounted (4dr) truck of a similar year.

other mounting options? you could mount it with just a nut, but i would do a 3 post x 3 lug set up for security, but it's going to be an S of a B to get down in the event you need it.

you could also look for an older truck with the standing in trunk mount and addapt it to your vehicle. or strap it to the front of your brush guard like a land rover. or open you roof rack all the way, drop the tire on your roof (flat) and close the rails to help support it a bit better in the way first described. or secure a 2dr swing away spare carrier and fab up supports INSIDE your pillar to hold it. or get a bumper mounted swing away set up for a jeep and fab up a bumper mount for it.

be creative

Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread just reminded me my spare is in my garage, not on my truck lol... just go to a pick a part yard and get the parts you need.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

I did it using a one inch threaded rod. There is a big hole there ( on my 85 there is). I just put the rod in there and welded it. I welded big bolts onto the nut so they work as handles and antiseezed the heck out of it. Also drilled a hole in the rod and put a clip in it so encase the bolt backed off. Works great. I have one picture of the completed project ill post later.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

heres the pics. obviously i could have made it look a bit nicer but the truck is a pile.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

Im not sure if you have a hidden hitch or not but i saw a 4 door with a rear spare carrier that holds the spare behind the tailgate (like the 2 doors have) but its attached from the reciever on the hidden hitch. Sounds simple enough to build.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

like this? <-- click that....

Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

just like that ABN31B haha

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

There is a member on the forum that had that hitch mounted tire carrier. I forget who now. The truck was very similar to Butters though (red, 2dr).
Anyway, I have a major problem with those hitch mounted spare tire carriers. They almost always block the license place 100% which will get you in major caca with the police. I wouldn't recommend those at all.

Quick Reply: Undermount Spare tire