2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P1406 - Cleaning EGR passages in the intake??

Old 07-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
Colby 04 is on a distinguished road
Question P1406 - Cleaning EGR passages in the intake??

Yes, I searched.

I changed the intake gaskets on my '97 this weekend. I got a P1406 code for the EGR pintle in the wrong position. It seems to run just fine, idles good, no ill symptoms other than the check engine light.

I didn't clean the EGR passages and didn't think anything of it I read some threads about spraying carbon cleaner in the hose going back to the exhaust. What can be done with the passage going to the intake? Can the EGR valve iteself be spray cleaned?

Any words of caution about cleaning these?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you searched under, but there are many threads on this subject.

Regardless, you should not need to clean the passage to the intake as it really does not get dirty. The passage between the valve and the exhaust manifold is where the brunt of the buildup occurs due to how often the valve is actually shut and carbon deposits settle out.

Regular carbon cleaner can be used on both the valve and down in the port/tube from the exhaust. I use a large & long brass pipe cleaner to clean the port out. Then plug the port to the intake and start the engine to clear the debris from the supply line.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
Colby 04 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk

Regardless, you should not need to clean the passage to the intake as it really does not get dirty. The passage between the valve and the exhaust manifold is where the brunt of the buildup occurs due to how often the valve is actually shut and carbon deposits settle out.

Regular carbon cleaner can be used on both the valve and down in the port/tube from the exhaust. I use a large & long brass pipe cleaner to clean the port out. Then plug the port to the intake and start the engine to clear the debris from the supply line.
I seached under "P1406" and found a bunch of info on cleaning the port from the valve to the exhaust supply. That's the reason I was inquiring about cleaning the port from the valve to the plenum.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The problem is that "EGR" is only three letters and therefore not searchable. Its the same problem im having.

so what would be suitable for "plugging" the intake hole while starting?

i can just see myself standing there holding something... and then POOF... im covered in soot! lol. but seriously... what do you suggest?

EDIT: Wholy Old Threads batman... my bad!