2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pass seatback-manual-won't lock in position on '03 2 Door.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Pass seatback-manual-won't lock in position on '03 2 Door.

The seat back in my 2003 Blazer 2 Door LS on pass. side won't lock. The seat back is all the way back in a reclining position. This is a manual, not power seat. The lever on the seat back will work to allow the entire seat to slide forward to allow a passenger in the backseat by sliding the bottom and folding the back forward. ( This is a 2 door feature only.) The metal bar at the front of the seat works to allow the seat to be adjusted forward and back on the seat rails. The problem is the lever on the outside of the seat bottom. It is jammed and won't move and that is the one that controls the seat back adjustment from a reclining position to an up right position.
Anyone know how to get this lever freed and to make it adjust the different positions?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Has anyone else with manual front seats on a 2 door had this problem? What did you do to fix it? That plastic handle on the side of the seat bottom is a frequently broken part and therefore hard to find in a salvage yard in tact. I would think they break because the control wire freezes up. Why do they freeze is my question.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 AM

My dau.s 1998 Wrangler with a manual front pass. seat not locking. We finally took it out of the Jeep and found a single screw jammed in the mechanism. This was a simple sheet metal screw from the assembly of the console! I was hoping the forum would come up with an answer like: ' oh, yes, this is a common problem with the manual seats. The cable breaks/ jams/ hangs up /etc. and you replace the ---------'.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Default Finally found the problem and it's fixed!

I pulled the three nuts and one T50 Torx bolt to remove the passenger side seat. The plastic lever on the right hand side of the seat was frozen. To recap:
My 2 door 2003 Blazer has a manual passenger seat that is very complicated. You pull that one lever and the seat back flops forward and the seat bottom slides toward the dash. This allows the rear seat passenger to get into the back seat. That lever was frozen and the seat back was all the way back.
I finally took the pass. seat out of the SUV and everything looked in place with no broken springs or cables. I decided it was just in need of lubing. It was dry as a bone. I put some 10w/30 on it and it works great now. Some silicon spray lube would be nice for this. The rod that attaches to the center of the frozen lever goes through two plates with a square spacer between the two--all of these parts were dry. Also there is a large geared cog with a pawl that engaged the cog that was dry..Lubing both solved the problem. This also explains why the plastic levers found on most of the Blazers are broken.